The battery builders club

Hi guys, im new to the battery building game. After doing some research on youtube i followed a tutorial called ā€œHow to build a Diy ebike Battery from 18650 cellsā€ to build a battery for my board, i used molicel p42a cells and 7 layers of 8mmx0,1mm of nickel ( because of the high discharge of the cells) now after reading up on this forum about cell level fusing and proper insulation with fishpaper im kinda worried that im gonna burn my house down. I dont expect anyone to watch such a long video for me but if someone with more experience could just look at these pictures i took from the video and tell me if i created a fire hazard using this method i would be very grateful!
Ausschnitt video 1|665x500
Video ausschnitt 2|690x481

1 Like

Very helkpful advice, ill get a multipmeter then, if only for piece of mind.
thanks for your input here.

1 Like

What?! Can we see a pic of your battery?

1 Like

Its all packed up and glued in the board, i was more concerned about the method i used. I thought 7 layers was a lot too but i looked at one of these spreadsheets where it says how much current nickel can handle and it showed i needed that much. Anyway having built all of it i can see it doesnt look too crazy and seemed to hold up well, just took a long time

Long. I was mad. I paid for fast dhl and they sent to a vendor or something.

But they can ship fast. Just make sure you push up on them.

2 Likes

this is nice video, but those are 35E on 28 amps (7a per cell) - there has to be some voltage drop because of cells!
I would like to revive some nickel strips tests we did some time ago, voltage drop is also visible in spreadsheet:

When thinking about it now, we should have done some tests with isolated nickel strips :thinking:

3 Likes

Any voltage sag in the cells or voltage drop in the contacts and wiring wouldnā€™t matter as long as the current level was being adjusted to the desired level. At the start to compensate for the voltage sag and drop and during the test to compensate for the dropping pack voltage as the cells discharged.

5 Likes

Illegally small battery

6 Likes

such a cute smol batter and fuse holder.

While have your attention, I need your opinion. I got a 12s7p Tesla 3 pack and dont know what BMS to use. I got the 12s Daly, 12s Xiaoxiang Smart BMS, and the DieBieMS. If Iā€™m planning to pull 80A, whats probably the best BMS to use

2 Likes

it depends if you got the discharge variant of them and what you want from them

1 Like

variant? Isnā€™t that determined by how you wire them? Ahh jeez i didnā€™t think this far

Well if you are wiring as bypass all will work the same, they will only charge and balance, then itā€™s a question of space and how much fancy feedback you want

If you are wiring discharge then you need a BMS with the appropriate current rating or you will either melt the BMS or throttle the battery

1 Like

omg im an idiot. I totally forgot why the fuck we bypass in the first place. Thanks lol

2 Likes

My guyā€¦we trust you to make bombs with this kind of behavior!? :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

is that wide enough? lol well I hope it is and that itā€™s also the real deal (pure pure nickel iykyk) it do be somewhat expensive but worth it (they also sell 100mm :skull:)

ugh and im combing through the DieBieMS manual and thereā€™s already too much shit for me to read. Anyone want this lol? Iā€™m so done

3 Likes

I mean if youā€™re just handing it out I will be happy to help you out :yum:

1 Like

Whatcha doing with it? There is no magic size

1 Like

you got your answer if you read the topic tittle :joy: Itā€™s not like iā€™m going to buy it for fun :wink:

might be for a battery for this puppy (inspired byā€¦ you ) even tho I still havenā€™t finished my first board :sweat_smile: (I kinda gave up on the idea of making my own motor mounts so decided to go with IDEAā€™s v7.3 trampa mini trucks motor mount)

I mean 50mm nickel is if you want to do a double stack 21700 battery with tabs, if you are using 18650s or a single stack itā€™s overkill, and if you are doing a folded pack itā€™s not enough

1 Like