The Acoustic | Custom Ziricote Veneer on Carbon Hummie | Custom leather wrapped BigBen enclosure | DKP | 10s4p Samsung 30q battery | 72kv Direct Drive motors | 120mm Foamies/Clouds | 2019 HobbyWing DD ESC and Remote

Incredibly beautiful build!
Bushings choice was also helpful.

3 Likes

This is a hot ass build. True art. Thank you for building, thank you for sharing, thank you for your incredible write-up.

2 Likes

Amazing simply, best build of the year just for the aesthetic, finally something original !
So sad to see the truck pockets messed upā€¦ but murphyā€™s law shit happens

3 Likes

I knnoowwww right !?!!! When I felt the router bite and slip, I knew it had gone too far. I tried to do too much too quickly. Especially for using a makeshift guide. Slow and steady folks !

I may make a more permanent solution for the area that is epoxy poured but in the meantime the permatex gasket has done the job :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really like the look of the gasket around the truck plate, it reminds me of the Rum runner with the sealant around the deck and mounting holes. Im not sure why it looks so good to me, i think its something about making a transition between the different components of the deck. This build is :heart_eyes: all around!

3 Likes

Man, that deck and enclosure. Next level work right there! You can see every second of time and ever ounce of effort you put forward reflected in the final product

3 Likes

Yee-haa! Yeah that was the same thought i had regarding transitions. It feels good to look at haha!

I think there may be a faster way to apply it so that it is completely clean and smooth/flat.
Iā€™m going to experiment with a workflow using clear tape directly over the permatex after brushing/troweling it onā€¦Waiting for it to cure, then peeling off the tape off to reveal the smooth surface. This particular permatex I had wants to ā€œgum upā€ pretty quickly. It doesnā€™t like being moved around with brush strokes. Iā€™ll post results and pics as soon as can confirm the idea works.

I allllllmost went for the urethane edge wrap! i was going make it a deep dark blue to compliment the warmer tones of the wood and leather. But something about seeing the layer laminations feeeeels good.

(I may revisit the idea in the future)

6 Likes

Hereā€™s a photoshop mockup of the blue urethane edge concept I mentioned.

I thinkkkk it eats up too much contrast and the presentation doesnā€™t ā€œpopā€ with it on.

I think iā€™ll end up keeping the edge bare and raw because the visible layers proclaim ā€œSkateboard DECKā€ ā€¦and i like that. hahah :smiley:

14 Likes

Beauty & love the detailed write up.

Would love to see a DaveGA mod with a circular screen embedded in the nose, Smiths gauge style.

Great to see the vacuuming process laid bare

4 Likes

You made a lovely job of this. Definitely a wall hanger!

4 Likes

Actually you did a % of the job :sunglasses:

1 Like

Much thanks for checkin it all out @magharees! Major props to you @BigBen for that enclosure mold! I love the sleekness and subtle curves - Makes for excellent flowww! I thought about visual data on an LCD, and wondered how little I would want to read it while on the go. Iā€™m trying to figure if there is a way to make use of some old iphones I have laying around to quick mount as a digital speed gauge ā€¦

I know this wonā€™t come with battery info, but that may be something I can use my remote for at the moment. Iā€™m also torn on introducing more ā€œbusyā€™nessā€ to visual aesthetic, but yes. we need stats! haha

2 Likes

What an amazing and beautiful build! Definitely the classiest looking board Iā€™ve ever seen. :heart_eyes: definitely agree that itā€™s a contender for the build of the year.

Now that youā€™ve made an ESk8 that looks like a fine acoustic guitar, Iā€™d love to see if you can make an acoustic guitar that looks like a fine Electric longboard. :wink: Not sure what that would even look like, but Iā€™m curious now. :thinking:

4 Likes

Added some gold fender washers to help relieve potential stress on the holes.

18 Likes

Do you use nylon washers under the alu ones? Those help a lot.

2 Likes

At the moment I only have the aluminum and then the leather layer. What is the theory behind the additional nylon washer?

2 Likes

most beautiful esk8 board ever! a true maiden, if I must say. Work of art and fantastic documentation. Completely love the low rider feel!!! sweet sweet love :100::100::100::100:

2 Likes

thank you @spade! I appreciate it! Thanks for reading through it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shall I say thereā€™s so much steam punk feel to this boardā€¦ you might need to complete the look with goggles, aviator leather jacket leather helmet and the whole shebang! coming from the design industry myself, to think I would ever see brass on a skateboard! :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Haha, this board is nutz, LOL.
Very cool, thank you for sharing!

1 Like