ThaNoS_Short AT commuter_ ChooChoo deck | MAD Fury DD | Hammock Adj Base Plate | Haggy 6" / TB110mm wheels

I’m thinking you would have an easier time with Kydex, you’re getting there for sure but it would be nice to taste a pretty result faster to keep motivation.

A badass shop vac would help too if you are sure there is no leaks

1 Like

Kydex looks and feels just like abs when thermoforming, but needs more heat. I think typically people use thinner for kydex, which makes things easier. Also kydex costs a lot more.

Maybe a screw together sturdy frame would help?

1 Like

Thst what I read as well om Kydex. Plus couldn’t find a big sheet as I am using.
@magharees I got a stronger shop vacuum I will try again. Not at home this weekend but I will give it a try next week.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve tried small scale abs, kydex, and sewer pipe abs for attempting to make a phone case and knife sheaths. Didn’t get as far as vacuum table and sheet heater, because that stuff takes up so much space! Definitely thick stuff is exponentially more difficult to work with.

1 Like

Yep. I have 3.5mm ABS (really thick) and 2mm abs that is what I am using so far. I think it’s a good compromise if you are not planning to support the battery with it.

Ladies and gentlemen we have an enclosure… :tada:

Big big thanks to @Linny and @bigben for all the advices…
Once understood mor eor less the technique is all about how much time you want to waste :grin:

It took me 3 days… Final consideration:
It’s a cool project? Yes, it is
Did you learn a lot? Oh yes
Is it efficient? Ella no!
Best advice? Get an enclosure for @bigben and save you from doing it. In my case for only due to the lack of time and being a new enclosure design, otherwise no way I wanted to do that.

Anyway here the short reportage…Still has to dry :sweat_smile:

Dried

In order of processing… filling and sanding for endless times :rofl:

27 Likes

Awesome job man! Really looking forward to this build comming together. Love the deck. But you already know that. :laughing:

1 Like

Enclosure’s looking really good, Alessio.

I have fantasized about making my own enclosure, but nope. Not anymore. If I ever have lots of money, I’ll just send off the file to get laser sintered 3d printed in Nylon in those big format printers from shapeways or some other company like that. Until then, I’ll just adjust with pre-made ones. Haha.

I wonder if @bigben uses mold on both the sides to get such smooth finish?

2 Likes

Just one side, the right side!

7 Likes

The only diy enclosures that are worth it are kydex. Got an 8 pack of kydex V for like 25$ shipped.

You can’t beat the price/ease of use.

All that being said my next 2 build are going to be using fiberglass eboosted ones :joy:

2 Likes

got a link?

1 Like

I agree, that’s why I tried with ABS first but my DIY vacuum system was not up to the task. I now have got the parts I will try to make it works!

1 Like

I’m sure people would love to have a European based alternative to psychotiller’s enclosures :wink:

1 Like

Well my system is really basic. I fused two heating elements and then made a vacuum table. I think I post some pictures above.

2 Likes

I wish :frowning: it was an amazon.ca find. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B009YLIOV8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image&th=1

Sometimes it’s an amazon item then it’s cheap, when it’s third party it’s pricey. I’ve seen it come in and out over the last year so worth keeping an eye on.

Other than that I was looking at https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/holster-making-materials-c-1071.html
They have an insane variety of kydex (carbon fiber etc) costs a lil more for sure but at least they ship out in 12x24 sheets. Shipping to Canada killed it for me

I’m actually very surprised nobody has set up shop selling cheap ass kydex enclosure that come in multiple parts that get epoxied together.

3 Likes

It’s because for our purposes kydex is like expensive ABS, and psychotiller’s pricing is pretty good especially compared to building the heater and press for DIYing big pieces.

It’s hard to find an oven that’s not in your kitchen for 24" pieces, etc.

I mean most people these days have bbq’s no? :rofl:

I’m sure we would see more kydex if it was widely available at 20USD for an 8 pack, I just lucked out :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah if your only ever planning for one board/enclosure not worth the effort, the more boards you do though…

1 Like

That looks good! Your second enclosure will be better for sure. Great job!

2 Likes

Thanks. Well to be fair this is the second one with fiber glass :sweat_smile: I made one one year ago.

Translation:
1932198_10202469460952030_1213719469_n

Bahaha! @rey8801 great job, 3 days vs 1 week!

5 Likes