ThaNoS_Short AT commuter_ ChooChoo deck | MAD Fury DD | Hammock Adj Base Plate | Haggy 6" / TB110mm wheels

Second attempt.
Doubled the power. 3200watt to heated up the ABS. Now that part works ok. I connected the two parts and lifted to be more pacticle. ABS sagged within 5 minutes.

Before start

Then vacuum and the result was not really detailed.SobI guess my 2 vacuums are not a strong enough. Tried to finish by hand but notb fully satisfied of the result. I think I did better with the fiber glass.
On one corner I even made a hole. The instic was to throw up after all the time I spent :rofl:

Now don’t now if better try to use a filler, sand it down and paint it or make it with fiber glass.

Still have to cut the along the edges.

7 Likes

What if you make your mould porous. Will that help in making sure that the plastic is sucked in into every corner?

You could drill holes into the mould at regular intervals. Especially at the concave parts.

1 Like

yeh I also thought so but then I saw so many videos of way more complicated shapes with no problem. I also lifted the mould so air could get below too. I think I need better seal and more suction. As last attempt I am getting a 1800w shop vac and will try again. I have ABS anyway, better to use it somehow otherwise will stay there forever :sweat_smile:
I avoided to make holes because I wanted to keep the mould intact in case I need to use it with fiberglass.

4 Likes

Wondering where all those YouTubers are getting good results, suspect not enough vacuum or a leak even?

1 Like

I think the heating process now is fine. It’s really a lot of heat and the ABS sag really nice. I am getting a 1800W shop vac, I hope it helps.
Most of the youtube video they use really thin plastic sheet. Our ABS are way ticker, so that makes it a bit more tricky i guess.

3 Likes

Just an idea, if YouTubers get detailed results with thin sheats is it possible to do 1 thin sheet paint on some acetone and do another over the top so they weld together and repeat until you have an abs laminate at the required thicknesses.

2 Likes

Don’t give up Allessio, you’re our good guy Keanu

4 Likes

Are you sure the density of the holes in the vacuum base is enough? You might try Kydex, should be easier to handle. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That also possible although I would really need a perfect contact between the 2 parts. Not sure I can get it.

1 Like

I will try with a stronger vacuum and better seal. Then I finished the idea :grin:

1 Like

I read that kydex is more difficult for vacuum forming than ABS. Plus I am using 60x40cm sheet. Never found the same for kydex.
The holes I think are plenty enough. I remeber @Psychotiller making nice enclosure with a a single central holes alone. I made a lot of even spreaded holes on the board.

2 Likes

I’ve seen people putting a screen under the buck and have the buck lay directly on the table but with a screen underneath to allow airflow don’t know if it would make to much of a difference tho.

1 Like

Maybe the screen is to cover the holes and increase suction?

1 Like

Didn’t get what do you mean with a screen.

1 Like

A mesh window screen which has a bunch of tiny holes allows for airflow and under the buck.

Ah ok but that’s why I lifted. I think the air is plenty. It’s the vacuum system I used so far not strong enough. At least that what I hope :grin:

1 Like

That how it looks like with the edges cut.

Still too much uneven surface. But I wanted to gain experience in handling ABS, new things for me.

7 Likes

What does it look like On the deck? Also what did you use to cut it? A dremel?

On the deck I will try. If well made this one should follow the shape od the deck since I designed the deck and the enclosure.

I used a bandsaw and then belt sander for smooth out the edges.
Dremel will work too but will take way longer.

2 Likes

Here with the deck. Shape is good. Once bolted down is a second skin.

13 Likes