Tempoboard by DEAF Launch

Ah. No we’re talking haha. But yes. You’re 100% correct. I’ve seen many many boosted falling apart during group rides!

On the plus side. They seem to slowly be disappearing from the face of planet earth wohoo :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Always enjoy a good prebuilt product launch here lol like stapling some meat to your ass and walking into a bear den.

11 Likes

@Deaf_Tech
Pics of the battery construction?
Thanks!

1 Like

oofda. Yeah I’m sorry but the presentation is a bit amateur. Make some new pretty photos (with current hardware damnit!) and detailed specs of the innards because this looks…rough. Sorry m8

1 Like

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the screws poking out of the grip tape. Even if you say it won’t be like that on the production board and it was just for the photo shoot you need to be using pictures of the real production boards not some prototype or outdated model.

10 Likes

Inserts aren’t for everyone–guess this is one way you can do it :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

That’s not what I’m saying on a professionally made production board these bolts should be under the grip tape and counter sunk so we don’t see them or feel them.

3 Likes

I think it’s ok for them to be visible (my wowgo screws through the deck and leaves them accessible, compromises the integrity of the deck ofcourse) but yeah they shouldn’t be sticking out like that. Should be at least flush

5 Likes

You and @BillGordon should form a support group.

6 Likes

:joy: :joy: hey I don’t deny that it’s suboptimal

2 Likes

I’m just trying to be helpful and supportive of your guys life choices.

1 Like

at least better than this lol.

12 Likes

To play devil’s advocate, while the board is definitely not going to win over anyone here, we do live in a bit of a DIY bubble and at $1500 that’s not to out of the price range for consumers upgrading from the budget market that simply don’t have the desire or skills to go the DIY route. That being said while Speedboard is a great example of how to do it right you have a lot more ground to cover before making that comparison, Dave has been out there working with the local groups, communicating openly with the community a logging a lot of hard miles to get Speedboard to where it is, you’re launching a normal board into an increasingly comoditized space with nothing other than a service guarantee that may not exist in a year to stand out from a sea of manufacturers that are becoming increasingly competent in this space. Not rooting for or against you just saying there’s a lot more hard hours to put into this brand.

8 Likes

Just some (hopefully constructive) feedback here. Your deck needs to stand out more, at the moment it looks like a cut plank from a hardware store. Apply some stain or something, and talk about the design and features. Highlight everything you can, and leave out nothing.

The breadbox needs to go. Consumers like integrated well finished looks, not a high school science project look. Get away from the square, and preferably away from the outer lip that holds the screws. If you add some plastic that’s the same thickness as the rest or tapers, and it has deep drilled holes to take the screws you’re halfway there.

To get any traction with us, we’ll need to see internals. The guys and girls here have already called you on specifics from first glance, so you’ve got nothing to hide. Some are a little rough, but all will tell you what’s real and how to make it better.

Pictures and specs need to match, even if you need to snap them with your phone camera. Calling a 6355 a 6374 will get you nowhere, and will bring into question your integrity and honesty.

BKB does kits, but they’re like lego so not complex at all. I could literally have a better board, with my own choice of deck that I can buy afterward, for at least $500 less than your pre-KS pricing. That puts a real question on your value prop.

Look at your competition at retail or close to retail pricing. Your competition is IMO Hoyt St and Subsonic, and they look MUCH better.

10 Likes

A more aesthetically pleasing enclosure would go a long way for sure.

3 Likes

You’re back! :heart: :heart:

2 Likes

Guys, you have that domain already, just set up a mail server as well. A gmail address doesn’t
make a company appear very trustworthy.

Apart from that, some feedback from someone who is relatively new to esk8 building but likes expensive toys and has an eye for aesthetics.

The deck looks a bit dull. The whole board has nothing that stands out a bit. You should do something about the shape, the griptape and maybe some accent colors. Also fix those cables. They need sleeves and they need to have a cleaner exit from the enclosure.
Take a look at the “Pictures and nothing else” thread. There are a lot of DIY boards that look much cleaner, more interesting and have some kind of a visual theme to them.

6 Likes

At least it isn’t actually a Kickstarter and the buyer is insured given how many kickstarters ended up not delivering.

Tick tock and we don’t stop go’n on and on till the break of dawn.

@Deaf_Tech congratulations on starting your own business. it can be just as rewarding as it is fun.
remember the self employed are likely the only ones willing to work (80) hours a week to avoid working (40) for someone else. :grin:

honest question, how did you land on 12s3p for the build? I assume you could fit many more cells under the TempoBoard deck. perhaps offering a different cell configuration with a more integrated battery bump may help set DEAFTECH apart from the other offerings.

Here is an example of a Landyachts EVO that has 13s5p fit under a deck that is an inch narrower (though a bit longer) than the TempoBoard

ef759aaafbd421727ec7b19cdb5a1b2b0da8789a_2_666x500 efa8c2326e83bd99f472448cb6547e5c32e56f1c_2_690x388

2 Likes

There’s this in the pre-build market that has you beat in almost all categories. (other than slightly smaller motor, non-vesc)

You can get the 2-in-1 combo for $1100 with 14ah battery and integrated carbon deck.

THIS is what looks like a refined consumer product. Your current pictures looks straight from a “first build” noob post. Nothing wrong for a noob post, but everything wrong in terms of retail product and value proposition

6 Likes