TelTail Lights (TTL) - Interactive eSkate Lighting System

From the supplier’s site:
8_a1c13c95-fe34-4bd6-b6b1-cac481c59616_800x800-01

Width of digital strips:
2_175ecd69-e12c-4e5d-bd27-a833053d3b7e_800x800-01

Width of analog strips: 10mm

3 Likes

Have you changed these at all? I forgot I was going to try making it a little different, wasn’t using it at all because Veif.

oh I cut it to only use two screws so you will not have them share the truck load also.

1 Like

I havent changed the light mount design in a while. Here is the thingiverse page with the latest design as well as old ones: Longboard Headlights by Ricco12 - Thingiverse

I have not received any complaints about the latest design so I stuck with it. I’ve had this design on my street board since I updated the design mid 2020 and have not had an issue with the mount taking the truck weight.

The good thing about it being 3D printed is that it is easy to modify if new feedback comes in :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Is it supposed to get this hot?

4 Likes

:sweat_smile: it actually isn’t that hot. It is scaled wrong cause I switch the IMU sensor from LSM9D to LSM6D and the temp value is scaled differently between the two. I’ve fixed this in my test FW and will push that soon.

That FW will also fix the timing for the shuffled light modes. It should shuffle every 30s, but it was set to 5s when I was testing and that was pushed in the last FW release.

5 Likes

Okay whew. I had noticed it when I was out on a ride, and was like, am I witnessing it fail? I don’t want it to go thermonuclear in my enclosure, so unplugged it mid-ride.

Also, been having issues with syncing the unit. Eg change a setting and write to unit keeps failing over and over. We’ve already done a fw update, is there anything more to do?

1 Like

Lol understandable. When the temp is reading out properly, it should max out in the upper 60s after a while. I plan to add a thermal cutoff threshold that turns off the outputs if the temp rises above 80 C. To protect against any failures that might cause thermal runaway.

Are you using digital side lights? Because of how long it takes the TTL module to write the LED states to the digital strips, messages get missed sometimes and need to be sent again. If you are using analog lights you shouldn’t have this problem.

2 Likes

Where can I find .stl files for the old (3.4) HW control module.

1 Like

You can find the step files for the control module, headlights, taillights, and loud horn on the TTL downloads page of my site :slight_smile: The control module model is of v4.1 HW but the outer dimensions are the exact same as the v3.4 HW

Do you require the model in .STL format?

3 Likes

I was looking for the case that had USB port on the side as well slit for the nunchuck port. I’m able to convert .step files

Sorry for the long delay. Here is a zip of the STL, STEP, and FUSION 360 Archive for the v3.4 HW enclosure. Let me know if you need anything else.

Control Module Enclosure SP 3v4.zip (809.4 KB)

3 Likes

So sorry, but can I get the EP version as well

2 Likes

No worries, here is the zip for the v3.4 EP version with all the same file types :slight_smile:

Control Module Hosuing EP 3v4.zip (871.8 KB)

3 Likes

It looks like the Universal Power Switch (UPS) is just what I need to turn wired in lights on and off along with my foxbox unity.
Would you sell it separately?

2 Likes

Ya as long as your lights draw less than 2.5A and take 0-60v, then they can be controlled by the UPS.

I can certainly sell them separately. I will add them to my webstore shortly :slight_smile:

Added.

Here is a link to the product in the webstore: https://solidcircuits.net/product/universal-power-switch-ups/

1 Like

Been thinking about this for a while now. Could there be a way where we could connect to the Bluetooth from any pc/mac and access the terminal in order to change settings. It would save me the trouble of hunting down an Android device every time I need to change something. Let me know what you think @Ricco

2 Likes

well, android emulator on laptop should work. Also Windows 11 was supposed to add Android app support but it was pushed to an update. App works great btw!

4 Likes

I think an emulator as @Fosterqc suggested would be the easiest alternative. A terminal connection could definitely accomplish the goal, however you would have to mimic the packets sent by the app and they can get to be fairly large and confusing. With that said, if you really wanted to go the terminal route, then the app github is here and you can take a look at the packet format/content. Just be warned that this app is the first android app I’ve ever made so it’s not very pretty :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve wanted to try getting a windows form application created that would wrap up the FW updates and settings config in one spot for a while now, but I have not had enough free time to work on that at all. With the level of maturity the app and FW are at it makes the most sense to spend what time I can adding onto those slowly rather than taking on a new, more time consuming extension of the project.

4 Likes

A quick update for any TTL users who are not subsrcibed to the FW & App update mailing list.

I have just released firmware version 0.14. Below is a list of the improvements made in this version:

• Added 4 stages of thermal throttling (after reaching 75 deg C)
    • Stage 1: If brights are enabled, turn them down to low level
    • Stage 2: Turn Side lights off
    • Stage 3: Turn off head and tail lights
    • Stage 4: If tempurature rises above 85 deg C, turn off all lights
  • Corrected temperature reading from LSM6DS3 IMU
    • Protects for future component shortages by supporting more IMUs in the LSM6D family

The thermal limits implemented should not kick in during normal use, but they will protect the module from overheating in the case of improper setup or usage of lights a current draw outside the modules rated limits.

10 Likes