TelTail Lights (TTL) - Interactive eSkate Lighting System

So you can use them in “rainbow” mode via the app?

Sorry for the lack of response, for some reason I didnt see the notification for your post. For your setup I dont know of any easy solutions to get the brake lights to react to the throttle. As seen in the video @skitzor shared, the VESC FW does have code to control WS2811/12 LEDs via the pins in the hall sensor connector, but it doesnt look like the VESC tool provides any way to make use of this feature.

If you wanted to control the LEDs from the ESC directly and your motors do not use hall sensors, then you would have to create a custom user application in the VESC FW and make use of the existing WS2811 functions. This option is very complicated and requires the knowledge and skills to edit the VESC FW safely, but it would be the cleanest solution.

Another option would be to use a small arduino based development board to read the PWM signal coming from the remote receiver and control the brake light channel accordingly. This would still require coding, but it would be simpler than editing the VESC FW.

1 Like

The TTL system can control APA102 or SK9822 based addressable strips. There are currently 9 modes created for them including a “rainbow” mode. Most of the modes have settings that can be configured via the app so that you can get them to look and react exactly how you want.

You can see some addressable mode demos in this post: TelTail Lights (TTL) - Interactive eSkate Lighting System

2 Likes

Which led Strips did you use in that video / which waterproof ARGB Strip can you recommend?

Is there a mode that can turn a specific color when accelerating and turn more led’s as you press down the throttle? Similarly when braking, particularly in red

1 Like

yeah

multiple actually

@Ricco I sent you a video message in insta since it wouldn’t load here

1 Like

The strips used in the addressable LED demo videos are 60 LED/m, IP65, SK9822 based strips from BTF Lighting: https://www.btf-lighting.com/products/1-sk9822-led-pixel-strip-data-and-clock-dc5v?variant=25941426176100

These are the strips I will be including in TTL kits.

1 Like

Any update? I would so love to have this

2 Likes

Testers are ringing out any hardware and software glitches still, think there is another revision needed at least before release.

1 Like

As @Fosterqc mentioned, things are still being finalized, but luckily there should not need to be another HW rev before release.

There is one HW bug getting fixed right now that affected testers using 12S batteries and no APS. This is the final known HW bug and has held up the project for quite some time now. The parts to test the planned fix will be arriving tomorrow. They are replacements for existing parts in the layout so a manual part swap should be all that is needed :crossed_fingers: If testing shows that these new parts make the design robust to the conditions that caused failures before, the release will follow shortly after.

As an update on the SW side, here are the the latest changes implemented in the TTL FW and Android App since my last update on this thread. There are no open bugs with the SW at the moment.

Below is a list of the changes made to the TTL FW in v0.9:

• Added output test function activated through the app
  • Added detection of connected ESC
    • Protects against burning ESCs if TTL is powered and they are not
    • Can be disabled through app if comms are blocked
  • Added method to send TTL error codes to the app
  • Added method to send info messages from the TTL to the app
  • Added LED mode shuffling so users can select their favorite modes
    • Shuffles every 30s
  • Added Standby Mode
    • Turns off lights when stopped, and turns them on when riding
  • Added VESC FW v5.2 to supported FW list
  • Added TTL temperature reading
  • Added feature to lower headlight brightness if TTL temp is too high
  • Changed ERROR_LEDs() function to allow selection of blinking duration
    • Allows minor errors to be indicated without freezing lights until power cycle
  • Changing RGB LED type no longer requires a power cycle
  • Commonized timer checks to protect against timer overflow
  • LED mode saves when changed using remote
  • Fixed bugs when controlling the horn output through app remote
  • Fixed bug when horn output is enabled but no control is selected
  • Fixed bug in heading calculation that occured when millis counter overflowed

Below is a list of the changes made to the App in v0.10:

• Added ability to upload custom TTL FW file (allows for downgrading or use of test FW)
  • Added option to automatically check for FW updates at startup
  • Added settings import/export menu
  • Added option to enable standby mode on the TTL
    • Turns off lights when stopped and turns them on when riding
  • Added option to enable LED mode shuffle
    • User can select their favorite LED modes to shuffle between every 30s
  • Fixed bug when writing lights config without an LED count inputted
  • Added TTL temperature readout
  • Fixed bug when controlling the horn through the app remote
  • Added button in settings to test the TTL outputs
  • Removed light control option since this feature is not yet implemented
6 Likes

Nice to hear that, thank you. Were there any problems that would cause the vescs do bad stuff or affect the eskate in any way? I mean when riding…

1 Like

No issues have been seen that caused problems with the ESC while riding.

The only issue that had a negative effect on the ESC was the issue of the UART port burning up Unities if the TTL was powered when the Unity was not. This was caused by the Unity’s integrated APS and was resolved in two ways.

1. I made the Universal Power Switch (UPS) to allow the unity to switch on the power to the TTL using it’s aux port

2. I added a check to the UART comms that verifies the ESC is powered before the TTL starts communicating

That issue was also only seen on Unities. Before applying fix 2, I tested the same scenario with 4 different VESC based ESCs but none of those got damaged.

3 Likes

Great reply, thank you very much. Will be patiently waiting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:tada: Its official, the TelTail Lighting System is now available! :tada:

I have prepared parts for 20 kits of both control module types (SP and EP) for sale. Head over to my site, solidcircuits.net, if you’d like to purchase one.

Details of each part in the kits can be found on the TTL documentation page. If you have any questions about the parts, please try referring to that page first. If you cannot find an answer there, then reach out to me at support@solidcircuits.net

Stock is limited at the moment by the 3D printed parts, but I will be increasing the part stock as they come off the printer. This is the case since I only want to show available stock for the parts I have in hand and ready to pack, rather than what I can prepare given some lead time.

15 Likes

Only 5 available :scream:

2 Likes

That is the limited stock I mentioned. The limiting factor right now is the head/tail light mounts. Those take 5h for 1 pair to print. The stock will slowly be rising as I print more.

5 Likes

Congratulations man! I’m still loving my original unit. Great to see your project coming to fruition.

5 Likes

Thanks for the congrats and for the support in finding HW bugs!

6 Likes

What is the thickness of the led stripes?