TelTail Lights (TTL) - Interactive eSkate Lighting System

Is that 5.11A total or each? The A2D Module has a 5v buck converter on it capable of handling 3A. So each LED strip could draw 3A making it 6A total. Though with 6A@5v that would draw 2.5A@12v which is the max current draw allowed by the Self Powered TTL system. So you would need to use the EP version with a more powerful 12v buck converter.

2 Likes

@BMB see? We aint nasty over here. A bit immature though…

1 Like

Its 5.11a for 144 pixels of wb2812b at full white.
Old pic as reference when I was testing max specs

You base your math on what length or number pixels?

5 Likes

1 metre? Also, shit i remember that buck converter and was looking for it today but forgot how big it was

It’s based on number of LEDs. If 144 LEDs are drawing 5.11A then it’s just 5.11/144=0.0355A=35.5mA max per LED. So to see how much current your lights will have per side, just measure out the length that fits a side, count the LEDs (or multiply by LEDs per meter) and multiply that by 0.0355A

2 Likes

@Ricco, @pixelsilva has a board he needs to show you.

1 Like

Warning! Photo dump!

image image image image image image image image

6 Likes

Major front end rebuild today. Hooked up a new horn. I broke the last one and I simplified my wires to the front. I used a heavy duty outdoor communications cable. It contains my horn, my off road lights and the DaveGaX.

2 Likes

It’s been a while since my last update so I have quite a few things to go over

v4.1 HW: I revised the PCB layout once more to fix the rest issue caused by the horn. I’ve done some bench testing with the new layout and so far the whole system is functioning great :partying_face: At the moment, this HW version looks like it will be the one used for production.

FW & App Improvements: The TTL FW had a lot of improvements made and some new features added. The updated FW supports both the existing hardware in the hands of beta testers (v3.4) and the new HW that will be used going forward (v4.1). Here is a list of all changes:

• Fixed bug in sensor control sensitivity
  • Implemented RX/TX assignment for v4.1 HW*
  • Improved robustness of ESC comms
  • Improved robustness of BLE comms
  • Added FW version number
  • LED mode saves on EVERY change, not just from app
  • Re-implemented app remote (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST APP)
  • Added side LED sync option
  • Added brake light modes
  • Fixed bug with IMU calibration restoration
  • Improved IMU filtering
  • Added v4.1 HW support*
  • Added Digital LED Modes*
  • Added APA102 / SK9822 support*

The items marked with an astrisk only apply to v4.1 HW. At the moment you all have v3.4

UPS: The Universal Power Switch (originally Unity Power Switch) is device that was born out of necessity when beta testers for the TTL system needed to use it with FOCbox Unities. Since Unity’s have an integrated antispark switch, they needed a way to power the TTL system on and off with the Unity. The UPS is intended to solve this issue by using the AUX port of the unity to control the power to the TTL System. The name was changed to Universal instead of Unity when it was realized that this is not only needed for Unity’s, but also FSESCs. The latest version of the UPS is designed to be used with high side (Unity) or low side (FSESC) antispark switches and up to 3A @ 50v switched. The PCBs are ordered and testing with begin right when they arrive. If this design is succesful, this device can be used to control the power to a multitude of eskate addons, not just the TTL system.

Display Board: I have started building a presentation board for the lights so that I can show off all of the features the TTL system has to offer. The idea is that I will build a mock eboard out of a few layers of poster board and a mix of new and spare parts. That board will be mounted using a lazy susan bearing to a cardboard presentation board. That way, I can easily interact with the lights without having to manipulate my heavy board. I also hope to evenetually take this to Maker Fair to have a fun interactive display of the system.

Metal Housing: With the addition of addressable LED support on HW v4.1, I am now faced with a heating issue in some use cases. The system can run perfectly fine using two 0.5m long 60led/m strip for the side lighting. However, when 144led/m strips are used, the system runs hot. Hot enough that long term use is not sustainable. To combat this I’ve designed a couple versions of a metal housing, one with milled texted and one with silk screened text. I have placed a prototype order for the version with milled text. Unfortunately the lead time for these parts is very long (30+ days) so I wont be able to test with them for a while.

19 Likes

This is bloody awesome. Why need a smart home when you have a smart skateboard? :joy:
Need some disco lights for the party? Just open the ttl app :fire:
This great work Matt thanks!

4 Likes

Hey Ricco.

In its current state how can we go about getting a unit?
Im building a diy esk8 with a vesc and would love to integrate your system.

Im fine with producing my own boards and getting components if thats the only way.
Or is it at a stage yet where you can release kits for DIY soldering and assembly? (that would be awesome)

4 Likes

I am currently getting together some v4.1 HW kits for a hand full of beta testers. I have 3 confirmed at the moment.

If you’d like to become a beta tester and provide valuable feedback to the project, just PM me and we can discuss the details :slight_smile:

I have been soldering all of the boards myself up to this point. I prefer this for the beta tester kits, just so I can be certain everything is functional when it is shipped out. I can, however, provide a kit with all of the parts if you are eager to try your hand at assembling one :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Any plans for a smaller lighter version for the people only interested in a tail light that gets brighter under braking simple PWM for normal led’s instead of pixel and a headlight relay?

5 Likes

:thinking: :shushing_face: :point_down:

10 Likes

Hey mate. Ive sent you a pm

1 Like

Might be interested!

2 Likes

@Zach correction You are interested. It’s The coolest toy on my board. Ttl plus DaveGaX best tech package.

2 Likes

I am interested in beta testing. Let me know where and how I can sign up! I am currently running a 240w buck converter with a 60w headlight and 20w tail light or two different boards. I also have dual red rear leds for under glow and dual front white leds for underglow.

3 Likes

Pics! @mattsdominion

1 Like