Summerboard SBX Supermod

yeah my leiftech casters were the nail in the coffin for an otherwise perfectly working V2. the casters on the sbx are alot better they lasted me a year with no issues. they are the only part of the stock sbx that I can trust even slightly.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, I’m thinking about doing changing the battery ESC and remote etc. Just curious, have you tried going uphill? I’m thinking from the original 12s => 10s there could be a downgrade on the torque power? I’m a newbie on DIY esk8. I’m trying to solve the problem on the unreliable battery issue and also I feel like the braking system is not reliable when the battery is 50% or lower. I love climbing hill and going downhill with this board so I’d want to fix this issue

2 Likes

Torque can definitely be affected if you dropped the voltage a lot. The actual torque is coming from the amps though so you could have the exact same or even more torque at a lower voltage as long as you changed the VESC controller settings.

The motor and battery are not the theoretical limit on torque it’s only the controller then heat dependent.

The belt and center wheel traction on bad roads is your limit.

2 Likes

Yes the current battery is a downgrade in speed and torque. The reason I am using it is mostly because I already had it siting there from another build its also more reliable and has better range than summerboard. I will be upgrading it to a 12s3p of molicel cells for best performance.

2 Likes

You willing to let me pay you to make me a battery pack or fill me in on how I can do it myself.

1 Like

The battery builders club

It’s a quick read you can knock it out in an hour /S

Ok serious answer.

[WIKI] Trusted Battery Builders (Serious)

The jem you are more looking for is the enclosure. You could print your own and fiberglass that.

1 Like

Would I not be able to use the current SBX battery pack enclosure for the rebuild?

2 Likes

unlikely but the sbx enclosure is trash anyway.

2 Likes

That’s good to know. Just need to find someone who can get it printed for me

Also I’ve noticed that every time I plug the charger into the charge port on the board it sparks. Any idea what would be causing this?

It just does that something. Yes it’s sketchy but it isn’t gonna cause any problems I had mine for a year and it did that all the time.

1 Like

As a temporary fix to get me up and running as quickly as possible. Are there any vendors or is it even possible to purchase a battery pack that I could swap with the stock SBX until I get a permanent solution

1 Like

where are you located?

1 Like

Kansas City, Missouri. I’m eventually planning to find a permanent fix but right now I just want to get out and ride

1 Like

I made a 3d model/STL for printing a SBX battery box. The goal being what you want a DIY battery that you pop in done.

However there is some trick needed to get the SBX ESC to work I think. As least the two I tried were basically a short on the main + - input. They seem to be alive, powered 3.3V rail and got green boot LED and red blinding fault for low voltage error.

From what I hear they “need” a custom FW from SB. So idk if that could be downloaded and sent from someones sbx (mine appear factory reset.) They did this through their app not Vtool.

Moral of the story if you want to skip all that work you can just throw a dual VESC and battery in a plastic case and call it a day.

Summerboard SBX reviews, discussion, mods, deals, problems, mostly problems. Maintenance/upgrade guides.

1 Like

@Battery_Mooch what are the chances those are just temp sensors passing through? I think you said already they are for communication to the SBX BMS

@Ricco you want to take the board apart again? :face_holding_back_tears:

2 Likes

Yo I appreciate all of the information. This is all relatively new to me so I’m learning along the way. Bought a used SBX two days ago & the battery worked fine when I showed up to make the purchase. Got home ready to ride & the battery was toast.

2 Likes

Classic Summerboard.

The trick with SB as opposed to FB is just keeping it working at all.

1 Like

Yeah lol and I knew that they weren’t reliable going into it but I thought it was worth the risk…it wasn’t

3 Likes