Summerboard SBX reviews, discussion, mods, deals, problems, mostly problems. Maintenance/upgrade guides.

All the smart people just binned the stock electronics :smiley:

2 Likes

Have you seen there was an updated version of that Plastic caster base/slipring case part?
Not sure if it has the same mold or much changed at all.

You did not show but did you just jack into the charging wiring? just daisy off the charge port.

I havent seen that new version of that part. Do have any link to pictures so I can see if I have the latest or not?

Its shown in one of the pictures above, but not very clearly. I just soldered the TTL power leads to the positive and negative of the battery port which is exactly the same as connecting to the charge port positive and negative. Because of how the summerboard switches the power to the ESC, I had to modify the TTL FW a little to delay it’s bootup so that it draws as little current as possible for the first couple seconds.

1 Like

new plastic base no more bearing cracking it flaw.

https://vimeo.com/698808893/bd19699899?fbclid=IwAR3Jxl-HuPryPYd7XecHrYygjM954nxacqrZFg6PWoseI0HlGP6p5-UhkQE

1 Like

Don’t want to keep diagnosis going in someones build thread. Was relevant but this is sbx reverse engineering.

if there was a bad component then I think something would heat up although I’m no expert. My only thought was there seems to be a MOSFET near the input that was not allowing input, but why not open circuit.

2 Likes

Person found this on first service.

I asked if this blob was from the motor wires soldered on the other side or what.

Also note the seemingly permanently installed bearing.

1 Like

I’ve got a brand new battery but my board won’t power on & when it’s plugged in the charger light turns off. Planning to check the resistance on the power switch wires and charging port tonight. Has anyone else had this issue? Input appreciated

Bad electronics issues.

How much do you want to keep it stock?

Sorry hope someone shows an easy fix.

For now, I just want to get it up and running without having to spend a bunch of money. Eventually, once I get used to riding I’ll care more about upgrades & reliability over keeping it stock

1 Like

I just had that issue. I had to replace the motherboard at a cost of $317, and a month of pestering them to send it to me.
Fast forward another 3 weeks and my board won’t respond to the power button and only turns on when plugged in. Survey says bad BMS, but if that is the case then they sent me a bad battery as a spare because the problem is still there with the “brand new” battery.
I recommend rebuilding it with aftermarket electronics, around $500 got me everything I need, though I do have useful stuff from flying FPV and a 3d printer.

the board is a lot of fun… when it works

4 Likes

Braice for impact

2 Likes

but which one should I go with?

2 Likes

Hey, ive read through this forum and really admired all the work you’ve put into the cause.

Im planning on doing my first DIY summerboard, recently bought a broken summerboard for $450 (battery issues). Was thinking of ditching the stock electronics for a Stormcore 60D+ and a 12s4p p42a pack etc.

How hard is it to work / diy on one of these boards. I could post a guide or something as i go through DIYing my board, althought im still very new to all of this diy stuff. Thanks!

2 Likes

hmm well thanks for reminding me I was going to print my batt case model and send it to someone to test fit.

The point of printing the case is you could double the height to fit a larger battery or battery and esc all in that kinda batter box thing and stock mounting on the sbx.

1 Like

Summerboard SBX Supermod

not very detailed but anything missing here is found on the many diy esk8 videos out there.

if you really want that 12S4P range I would get the pack made as two 12S2P so you can have an option or ride all day swapping.
12S3P more than enough imo. You will be sore after that long without break.

2 Likes

I’m going to take your advice and get a 12s3p. The custom battery pack case seems like a fantastic idea, I was thinking id have to / should avoid the summerboard esc as I thought it would just cause me some problems. Id love to try out your batt case if you’re public about the stl, got a ender 3 if that can handle the dimensions (new to 3d printing as well).

Thanks so much for the help! Thanks so much for that link, its easing some anxiety about how difficult this project is going to be.

1 Like