Subsonic Skateboards since '99 - Custom Decks for DIY Builds

+1. My way was similar but not with two washers

1 Like

Yes. Seizing can be an issue if you use male and female threads from the same material. It is very, very bad for aluminum on aluminum. Stainless is not as bad but it is still not a great idea to use stainless on stainless.

6 Likes

How’s titanium and stainless?

1 Like

Fine. The problem with having the same material on both sides is the matching grain structure. The high spots on one side are the same size as the low spots on the other side. Tiny amounts of material transfer between parts until they lock together.

2 Likes

And since brass isn’t being used anywhere else at all…

1 Like

Never knew this, I’m gonna order the brass ones and might reach out for more help to you on Instagram @longhairedboy if that is okay

1 Like

Your like a esk8 surgeon :sunglasses:
And 1000 views nice

1 Like

Anyone know if Subsonic is still operational with the crazy shit happening in Seattle?

I ordered a custom deck and enclosure back in the middle of April and I’m having trouble getting any sort of updates or response from them in the last two weeks.

It looks like they’re still posting to Instagram, but it’s been crickets on any sort of update or eta on my order. Seattle sounds crazy right now, maybe they all went to join the new free zone? @bradley?

2 Likes

Hey I guess I can answer my own post- I just got off the phone with Anne at subsonic and it sounds they were hit real hard with the Covid shit.

They’re out of Seattle and had to follow all the lock down orders which were extra strict there, so they’ve had a single person (@Bradley I think) trying to keep up with their orders. She said they thought they were going to just have to call it quits for good because everything took such a nose dive a couple months ago, but the orders have started picking up again and they’re doing their best to try and keep up.

I know these decks are somewhat popular here since @eboosted makes badass enclosures for them, so I thought I’d pass on the update in case anyone else is waiting for a deck… Sounds like they’re making a real effort to get caught up.

10 Likes

Did they give you any sort of ETA for your order? Just had a friend order from them a couple weeks back thinking that they’re still on that 10-15 day production time.

It’d probably be a good idea to put a little banner up on the website or something (@Bradley?)

Man if subsonic goes under that’ll be a very sad day, and i’m sure they’re worried that a banner might affect orders being placed :frowning: What a shit situation

2 Likes

Yeah agreed- I’ve got a century 40 as my push board and it’s great, I’d hate to see them go.

I ordered this latest custom century 40 in mid April and they’re going to have it done today, Anne is having it overnighted via ups too which was nice.

She said they were dead for about a month but then orders started coming in- I guess Bradley’s got a friend keeping up with Instagram and Facebook which she said was helping to drive sales too. She said they should be able to get their crew back to work by the end of the month hopefully, so I hope they can keep rolling after that.

2 Likes

Awesome thanks for the info! Where you able to contact them with the number on their site? I’ve tried calling it a couple times and it always ends up doing weird things, but I am trying to call long distance as well lol

No she called me actually- I emailed them an admittedly angy sounding email complaining that I hadn’t had any updates in weeks and they were waaaaaay past the their quoted completion time.

Anne responded to that email yesterday stating she’d get the status, and then she called me with the update this afternoon.

She was very apologetic and nice for what it’s worth… Which of course made me feel like a dick for for the angry email :confused:

6 Likes

Hey @JPNW thanks for the news! I am curious to know where my order possibly places compared to yours to get an idea of a possible ship time. My custom Century 40 is order # 1771, if you do not mind would you advise what your order # is? Trying to figure out if I need to just buy an Evo so I can skate :(.

1 Like

Looks like mine was 1745… Sorry

Not to tempt you into the Evo, but they kick ass. I mounted a meepo V3 drive train on one and I built a belted AT board with another. I’m waiting on this subsonic deck because I wanted something different… :joy:

1 Like

Ok thank you, that gives me an idea, maybe another few weeks on mine hopefully. Yea I been riding my bf’s Evo, really like that concave foot lock-in and the drops are nice when you have that oh-shit moment! Just took a quick 2 min spin on @KfromtheBay ‘The Skid’ (what a sweet build!) it felt very similar, I am really stoked!

Good luck on your build, I hope you enjoy! Would love to see some photos when you get it built :smile:

2 Likes

Damn, just noticed they’ve pared down their one-of-a-kind selection quite a bit… probably have been dropping prices during the pandemic to move stuff and I missed it :frowning:

Hope they can crawl back…

3 Likes

I had luck emailing them- anne@nw-dist.com or bradley@nw-dist.com

I finally got my board last Sunday and I had a chance to talk to the owners Anne and Paul. Things are pretty nuts up in Seattle right now but they sounded hopeful to keep things going. I think they were just down to Bradley building boards and I guess he got really really sick a few weeks ago so things went even further downhill.

The board I got kicks ass- it’s my second subsonic board (first subsonic eskate) and they’re both great. I really hope they can pull things out.

5 Likes

Hey welcome to the forum dude! Glad you finally signed up here! I’ve been meaning to post a similar msg in here as well. Hopefully they get stuff sorted and figured out but it ain’t looking good. Maybe try out those emails @JPNW linked there.

I received an email from Anne at Subsonic on Tuesday, apologizing for the delay and slow communication. I just noticed now because it was in my junk folder, so maybe check yours. We just entered phase 2 of reopening in King County, WA on Monday. Businesses can now be at 50% capacity, so production should pick up a bit. Before I believe it was just Bradley running all the presses.

4 Likes