Subsonic Skateboards since '99 - Custom Decks for DIY Builds

That was quick. No inserts this time yo!

3 Likes

I just hope that I will not mess it up myself this time ;-). May be something like 50:50, I guess.

Order originally from Mid April so about a month. However, after posting very quick, yes.

3 Likes

We promised a video on enclosure installs! Here you go, let me know what you think!

If you want more videos, let us know and subscribe!

25 Likes

She’s beautiful!! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :clap: :raised_hands:
So surreal seeing the process being illustrated using my board!
Thanks for sharing Bradley - your work and attention to detail here are greatly appreciated! Cant wait to get her and cruise!

6 Likes

Great video and super helpful for enclosure installation in general. These decks and enclosures look awesome

3 Likes
12 Likes

very kool… thanks…

I guess you find epoxy and/or glue unnecessary on the inserts…

Is that two threaded inserts on top of eachother ? @longhairedboy

1 Like

with one small washer, and one slightly larger washer. The slightly larger washer presses the wood back down around the insert, the small washer allows the larger washer to deform into a very neat cup shape, and the other insert on the bolt just acts as a spacer. The whole thing is on a socket cap bolt which is just stuck in my drill chuck.

6 Likes

you don’t need it if you’re only using blue threadlocker on the enclosure bolts and you drill the hole in the deck the right size.

2 Likes

Very interesting! But shoot it turns out clean! You don’t mind brass over SS?

1 Like

Sometimes I use stainless enclosure bolts, and I was under the impression that if I use stainless threads and stainless bolts that seizing can happen. Is that not a thing?

I’ve had zero issues with brass, btw.

2 Likes

People I think just complain about the brass being able to be stripped easily. But I’d rather pay the price for brass over the SS

If you use the ez-lok tool with the brass inserts it will break the insert. 99% of the time. The way I do it works 100% of the time and you’re guaranteed a flush clean insert every time as long as the hole is the right depth.

3 Likes

Defiantly will use this method ! @longhairedboy

1 Like

+1. My way was similar but not with two washers

1 Like

Yes. Seizing can be an issue if you use male and female threads from the same material. It is very, very bad for aluminum on aluminum. Stainless is not as bad but it is still not a great idea to use stainless on stainless.

6 Likes

How’s titanium and stainless?

1 Like

Fine. The problem with having the same material on both sides is the matching grain structure. The high spots on one side are the same size as the low spots on the other side. Tiny amounts of material transfer between parts until they lock together.

2 Likes

And since brass isn’t being used anywhere else at all…

1 Like