Stuff about double kingpin trucks

I feel like most of them just trash them because others do without even trying a well tuned set. Or get a cheap set and compare it immediately with the precision trucks that came with premium bushings and washers.

5 Likes

What problems do you guys have with the stock Evolve bushings? Never heard form somebody changing them.
They feel great to me. The china bushings are to soft though.

For me, the stock evolve bushings were too high rebound. Which is a plus for carving feel, but not good for stability at speed. I actually run 1 single evolve bushing on front road side pair, but the full set of evolve bushings sprung too fast with no dampening feel. Like having channel trucks with only springs and no damper.

1 Like

You can specify what duro bushings you want from Evolve and indeed buy them seperately. I actually like the bushings but the pivot cups suck. Very important to have good pivots in dkp trucks. I ran some of the 98 duro evolves in my TB218’s for over a year on the rear boardside and they worked a treat but there is no comparison to @RipTideSports bushings and pivots.

2 Likes

Here is our take on Evolve DKP trucks, this applies to other DKP’s also but the heights of the bushings may be different in different positions but the concept still applies:

I have worked on several Evolve boards in the past when people have asked us for a nimble yet stable at high speed setup. This is what I found for Evolve “compound” trucks:

For simplicity, I will refer to the bushing positions from roadside to boardside so for the front, F1 is the bushing closest to the road in the front and F4 is the bushing closest to the deck in the front, rear will be the same just designated R1-R4. Also, the position 1-2 are the primary turning pair and position 3-4 are the secondary turning pair.

Front truck

F1: KranK 90a ShortStreetCone (.4" tall)

F2: KranK 90a Barrel (.6" tall)

F3: KranK 93a ShortStreetBarrel (.4" tall)

F4: KranK 93a Barrel (.6" tall)

Rear Truck

R1: KranK 93a ShortStreetCone (.4" tall)

R2: KranK 93a Barrel (.6" tall)

R3: KranK 93a ShortStreetBarrel (.4" tall)

R4: KranK 93a Barrel (.6" tall)

I weigh just about 200 lbs and this worked well for me as well as my son that weighs 140 lbs. We found the key to settling down the trucks for high speed situations is to keep the pair of bushings closest to the deck (F3-4 and R3-4) stiffer than the bushings closer to the road (F1-2 and R1-2) and the front easier to turn than the rear. The primary pair should initiate the turn, then the secondary pair should come into play when needed or wanted. I hope this is not too confusing as there is a lot going on with these trucks. The way we have it setup currently, you can run full speed all day and still have a lot of turn when needed, so agility and stability.

We have revised this for higher performance, please see this page for the latest updates on DKP setups: https://www.riptidesports.com/electric-skateboard-accessories/boxes/d-k-b-bushing-box/

17 Likes

Brad, U cool but you need to stop copy and pasting that every time DKP and riptide is mentioned in the same post. :joy:

6 Likes

I have the 50mm gear drive too. How much was the upgrade?

1 Like

I suppose I could rewrite it each time, would that be better? I looked above and it was not posted here so my bad…go wash your hands.

Do you know how many times I have to repeat myself in threads where people ask the same question as two posts above. I finally just gave in and embraced repeating myself…go wash your hands again

20 Likes

Do not apologise for that information no matter how many times its been posted. DKP are a bitch to tune and that stuff is pure gold.

Also I hadn’t bookmarked it till now so from a purely selfish point of view it was very welcome Brad.

11 Likes

brad… you’re RAD… keep posting that info… it helped me a bunch, thanks… I hope it helps many more love the beauty of the DKP truck properly bushed…

3 Likes

Is was a joke, I don’t think anyone was looking for bushing recommendations for DKP, just talking about how they are.

all info about dkp is welcome here, i kinda wanted some info put together for the newer people, since i was not able to find a lot about it clearly. (was secretly hoping riptide posted his stuff here).

3 Likes

…perv…

2 Likes

you know it babyyyy

2 Likes

Those are @IDEA geared drives!! Very slick and low :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Thanks Brad :grinning: :metal: for the useful info on DKP bushings. Never mind you repeating the same concepts over and over. They are super neccesary! Your opinions on spot. Never stop doing it.

1 Like

Pm @IDEA. It depends on what motors and shaft size, he does offer a 21 tooth on a 10mm shaft. So the price may differ for what may work for you.
I stuck with the same gears (8mm shaft motors)but it’s a very tight fit with minimal clearances to get the right backlash on the gears.
I had to do a bit more clearance on the mounting flange cuts.

2 Likes

He got onto me already :ok_hand: cheers bro

3 Likes

Cool…Sorry for the slow response.

Oh I tried them… evolve gt was my first esk8, I even kept the trucks for my second build and gave them a try on a real setup with 10s4p and dual 6365 200kv motors… still sucked with precision washers, riptide pivot cups and bushings with 4 different durometers. Got some 176mm surf rodz for that setup and would never go back. Hit 35mph comfortably…

1 Like