Mark I - Iron Man Esk8 - World's First Smart Electric Skateboard With A Talking AI (Jarvis)

Will the enclosure cover that up?

1 Like

I reapplied it and the bumps are pretty much all gone! Only problem is I scratched up the vinyl trying to fix the creases last night so there are white scratches where the creases were

3 Likes

Yes! Completely. Thankfully. All the visible parts look great.

2 Likes

That’s good news then.

1 Like

2nd half went worse :sob::sob: I hate vinyl wrapping more than anything! I tried using heat to help get rid of wrinkles but then it warped the length of the vinyl permanently and I had to pull it and form creases to make it reach the other end. You can see some white where the vinyl shrunk and wouldn’t reach the end

1 Like

Maybe learn some new skills and try skinning it with printed fabric…?

The @brown5tick liveries are looking awesome. Massive time and effort (and cost) involved though, obviously.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing. I can’t afford to do that for this build and the creases will be covered by the battery but that looks really cool!

vinyl wrapping is a bit of a pain but I mean it’s sort of easy when you have the knowledge and to know how all you got to do if it’s trying to not stretch the way that you want to just reheat it and then pull it as you’re heating it and it’ll stretch to the position that you want to stretch it it’s a bit of back and forth and it really depends on what type of vinyl wrap you buy and who you buy from

1 Like

When using vinyl, if you stretch it, it will try and go back to its original length so once you apply it, add heat to make it lose its memory.

Best to always use the right length of vinyl, the less stretching the better

2 Likes

Awww man! That’s such a shame. Do you think you’ve learned enough in the process to have another stab at it? You’ll probably avoid those mistakes second time around.

1 Like

Maybe. It’s one thing to know what to do. It’s another to be able to pull it off perfectly.

My nickel is finally here! Now I can finish my build!

5 Likes

Got 96 nickel pieces to cut. Halfway done. Going to get the welder from a friend in a day or two.

2 Likes

Score a small piece with a knife and put it in water to see if any rust forms, some nickel strips are often just coated steel strips which are sold as pure nickel.

4 Likes

I did that and put it in vinegar. It’s that okay? I’ll check it in 12hrs.

1 Like

Ah forgot to add that it should be salt water, im not sure just vinegar will do.

1 Like

No corrosion in vinegar or salt. (Red is salt)

3 Likes

My own tpu spacers :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m going to rework the design a little so they come up and wrap around the black a little. Like a little lip.

5 Likes

That thing is a monster. Not gonna lie, I’m a bit nervous for your batteries with a 3d printed enclosure hanging that far below your board. I know you did that stairwell test and such, but I’m scared looking at it again on the actual board. Hopeful you prove me wrong, though :slight_smile:

Following this thread has been really enjoyable

1 Like

That’s really nice to hear! I didn’t think it’s enjoyable. I was kind of just using it for my own notes so I have a record of everything I did.

Trust me I’m even switching to a more heavy duty material after seeing how the stairwell one broke, even though the reason the stairwell one broke is not present when the actual battery is inside. The new material doesn’t look as nice and is hard to work with as you can see with those rough lines on it and the bottom is more warped (less perfectly flat). I will likely sand the rough lines a little and they will also be less visible after spray painting.

1 Like