SR-71 Bluebird | Hummie | 110 Artic Blues | 12s7p 30Q

I always round all the edges, not a fillet but at least a chamfer

Layout pics?

I’ll chamfer them next time, any advice is cool I just like some extra reasoning why -

I’ll post a layout pic soon, I think it will make more sense later. I was having a little trouble figuring out the best way to run the series wires with the 7p setup

It’s fine as long as there is nothing on the other side of those groups, if you have another parallel group and they are just spaced by some shrink wrap and a layer of fishpaper, it could eventually wear through and make contact…then you’ll have a bad day

Oh I understand what you’re saying. Yeah I agree, more layout pics will help - gonna work on it later this week

1 Like

What you want is for a single short section of nickel to connect the cell to a wire point of contact, think of the current radiating from the wire and only taking a single step to each cell

@Scepterr never rounds edges :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sure that makes sense. Here maybe this will help some:

This is how I was planning to solder the 12awg series wires

Maybe but I also want to reach the professional levels like @ZachTetra and whatnot, so starting with bad form isn’t great. I should have posted in the battery thread earlier lol

1 Like

@Scepterr is a bad influence on the young and uneducated

2 Likes

Haha @Scepterr is just good at what he does

1 Like

I don’t round nickel if it’s not exposed in the completed pack, like covered with braid
if it’s exposed then sure I’ll trim sharp edges
oh and after the braid is soldered , I dremel any high spots and poky bits

3 Likes

I would solder to the 4 vertical strips instead

1 Like

very nice use of nickel belts!
Less welds, less work

2 Likes

I can’t tell from the pic is that adhesive lined fishpaper?

Hmm yeah I couldn’t either and didn’t think to look for it in the title, so unfortunately not. I’m gonna have to glue it on

1 Like

just get the adhesive lined one and use the other in places where adhesion doesn’t matter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08266TLDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GAYeFb67GGJ8F

1 Like

You’re in the home stretch it’s a tidy build I am excited to see it come together. The hummie deck looks awesome on drop throughs. What’s your clearance like with the 110s?

2 Likes

Thx I’ll pick it up later

Thanks! I’m excited too! I really want the drop through to work for the stability and the super thin build look. I’m not sure what the clearance will be quite yet, hopefully not too bad. I don’t want to have to do top mount if I can help it, although it would give the motors more clearance too

2 Likes

Well apparently the nickel strips came already, woohoo! Higher Wire energy apparently ships very fast within the US. Probably just gonna do a spark test on this because I don’t wanna wait and the last batch was pure. I got 20’ this time because last time, 10’ was used in the first 6 parallel packs.

1 Like

Well. Tonight I finished spot welding the pack, and wow that took longer than I expected. My fingers are a bit tired from getting scorched for two hours, but all of the welds are done. I’ll post more pics of the P groups after I wrap them in paper and finish charging them up.

Next session will be an intense soldering one, all of the series connections are going to take quite some time. Have to charge up all the parallel packs first though. Not sure if this charger is supposed to be able to do this or not, but it seems to be working fine. It’s a little sketch but since the charger only does 0.5a x 4, it’s not a big deal to use alligator leads.

Most of my cells are already at 4.1 ish volts, but there were a few sets down at 3.7, so I figured I’d just charge them all up to full since I hope to ride it within a week or so after I finish soldering together the series connections.

In the meantime, I ordered some carbon fiber vinyl wrap for the enclosure, and I think this stuff is gonna look pretty amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L9J4JRG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

Started working on soldering together some series connections today. No, they don’t look like the most perfect thing in the world, but they will perform just fine and I don’t expect to have any issues with current capabilities or transmission.

Main pack positive 10AWG silicon wire

Had to break out my good 'ol Weller wall solder station to do all these, these cables really soak up the heat quickly. Kind of a pain to be honest, but once I started the 12AWG for the in-pack series connections, it got a little easier. After soldering together, the individual series groups do seem to have the little bit of flex that I was going for.

I do kind of regret not reading the listing all the way when I bought my fishpaper, because I’ve had to hotglue it all on. It’s really not that bad, but adhesive stuff would be easier for sure.

!
20200722_205152|375x500

Sidenote: the yellow stuff on the solder joints is just some flux that I cba to clean up, it shouldn’t affect anything really

The rest of my cells are still working their way up to 4.20v on the charger, so I was only able to do 4 series tonight, the 5th one is almost charged, and 6th is ready to be connected. The rest, well they’ve still got some time to go.

This is super exciting though! I have basically everything to make this board work and the time for assembly is getting close. Based on where the series wires are on my pack, I may have to end up putting it in the board the opposite vertical orientation as I had originally planned, but that’s not a big deal, I have plenty of neoprene to pack in there.

4 Likes