Spur Gears - Setting Gear Mesh

• abc
48 Likes

Simple yet amazingly useful thread for new gear users! Awesome use of gifs

8 Likes

Really nice @moon, thanks!

Hey so usually gearboxes are full of lube, and the part of the motor that has the mount screws is open to the lubed cavity, so the screws and holes are exposed to lube, right? Which makes loctite tricky.

1 Like

I clean up the part around the motor pinion when I have to reset the motor.
Ideally you set up the motor position once in the beginning before you lube anything and than only after idk maybe 3000km for maintenance (in case the motor hold up that long :sweat_smile:). There you anyway want to change the grease, so no problem to clean up everything before loctiting everything back in place.

4 Likes

Normally I set gear lash by feel. If you take a strip of notebook paper between the gears and set it snug. This will set lash.

7 Likes

Yeah I don’t like the paper method but if it works for you…

5 Likes

I don’t like pom gears, but if it works for you…

13 Likes

I think it’s all about experience.
The paper thing is good to get an idea what backlash is needed when you first time set up a drive. After that you get the feeling for the right amount of backlash.
As min thats how it worked for me.

5 Likes

This!!

The first time I set mine up it was a mess, too close, too far, too close.

I used the paper to get them close and then just used my ear to adjust. You can hear when they are set up right.

3 Likes

Four layers of paper are right for the correct gear mesh?

Depends on the paper you use :sweat_smile:
And that’s the biggest problem with the paper test.
Would recommend to watch the video from jens. You can see there pretty good what is the right amount of backlash

3 Likes

The proper way would be to use a feeler gauge and get an agreed upon spec distance

3 Likes

Something clicks, when I rotate the right one. Every 1/8~ of a full rotation.

The are pretty good aligned actually, after watching this.

1 Like

i use a 1mm hex key as a feeler guage, instead of paper. Works like a champ on 3DServisas drives, and it makes the ArcBoards gears feel better too. But for the most part if you can eyeball it so that the flat spots of the gear teeth line up with each other its perfect.

6 Likes

Do you mean 1.5mm hex?

1 Like

Is this enough backlash? https://youtu.be/YSBNs1McTDM

1 Like

In my experience, yes.

1 Like

I feel you. Those ellipse gears can be tricky. But correct

Wut hapnd

5 Likes