Spiral Bevel Gears Drive

Give Morris a break. He just completed what is effectively a huge project, designing, engineering, and testing a complicated drive system. That project had a staff of two people, Sofu testing and Morris doing everything else.

Morris can afford to take a break for a bit.

@sofu has just been casually dunking on people for not figuring out how to set it up on their own instead of offering any help to my knowledge.

I don’t mind picking up the slack and making a set of instructions for everybody else.

6 Likes

Yeah, let’s just ignore my previous comments about things to watch out for during assembly as well as literally all my posts throughout the entire testing process you can reference and just say I’m only here dunking on people.

There is actually an old assembly video that people can maybe reference but the design has changed so much that much of the video doesn’t apply anymore, so it’s not public. If @MorrisHsu wants to make that video public he can do that

5 Likes

All I’m saying is I haven’t seen much going on with this gear drive in months.

Morris completed the design, manufactured the parts, assembled the kits, and shipped to the people who ordered it.

Read through the last ~75 posts to find out those details.

I have read through everything. Why are your panties getting in a wad over this?

2 Likes

So my original plan for using this drive with boardnamics trucks did not work at all.

What I ended up doing was taking a metal file and filing down the top part of the hanger until it aligned correctly and the bolt could be inserted easily. Then I carefully tightened the caliber adapter while checking the alignment constantly.

I reassembled the drives and it works perfectly.

One additional thing I did a while back and forgot about. I bought 60mm shoulder bolts from McMaster Carr so that they fit correctly with no spacers.

6 Likes

There should be washers on those screws on the inside.

5 Likes

@sofu & @Winfly Props for all the testing and helpful build tips, it’s great reading through your builds and thoughtful contributions to the community.

@NullReference - Appreciate yeah writing this up with the further detail, photos and tips.

@MorrisHsu - Holy fuckballs these are beautiful. Thanks for sharing this project and making it available to the community.

@AngryTrucker - Saucy

@Kellag - If you don’t like them, then don’t support the project but enough dragging down the conversation small petulant child.

@Myke - I expect more from Spokane - your title is fitting - Spokane the fuck up.

Esk8 love and shit - Looking forward to putting these bitches together.

13 Likes

:rofl::joy:

6 Likes

Wtf are you talking about? Mad because this project fell of the face of the earth and I said it out loud?

So you have a set of these gears to show all your support to the project??

1 Like

Not mad man, just disappointed…this is a cool one off/ unique idea and im seeing a few naysayers (some of whom havent even tried the things, let alone backed the project) bitching and moaning. Let those trying it comment and work to get them up and running at least before knocking. Anyone that has designed and built anything will tell you less than 6 month from idea to iteration to manufacture betas is awesome.

And yes, I certainly did support the project, in fact just picked up my package from the post yesterday and when i get around to mounting them ill throw up sum pictures and whatnot. Novel idea and worth trying/supporting …you know diy forum and all.

1 Like

Yes I also have purchased these gear drives. I was just saying how I felt like the project kinda stagnated.

1 Like

Has it? Seems like people are getting their products and we should soon have user feedback.

This drive is my nomination for the best product of 2019. Everything else felt iterative whereas this is kinda left field.

Let’s be honest. Any time any one of us drew a car as kids, we gave them rocket propellers which is exactly how this drive looks.
I am waiting for user feedback before I jump in myself.

4 Likes

I’m not saying this isn’t a innovative product or a bad one. I wouldn’t have bought it if I did. I’m happy with it. I’m just waiting on more parts to get this gear drive put together on my new build.

2 Likes

Mad because this project fell of the face of the earth and I said it out loud?

Sometimes the behavior in this forum disappoints me a bit. It’s like some people forget that often it is just one or two guys behind a product, not an entire company. Things take time, and unhelpful criticizing just ends up taking the motivation to keep up with the project.

From what I have read @MorrisHsu is not a very chatty guy, I respect that, keeping up with the pace of this forum takes time, and some people prefer to spend their time otherwise.

Why don’t you guys just install the drives, ride them and give usefull feedback. If you keep whining the only outcome will be the end of this cool project.

15 Likes

I updated my second post to reflect the correct washer placement. The photos are still incorrect as I have not disassembled my drives for photo purposes.

2 Likes

Part 3 of 3

#yolo build guide

Step 10: close up the housing

Tools: monkey wrench, included wrench

Locate the other parts bag. This should have four long bolts, two short bolts, a wrench and a bunch of weird looking nuts. Now locate the backing plate. It’s thin and the exact shape of the opening in the housing. Align the backing plate over the main housing. Once the three holes line up, insert the bolts into the holes from the far side. Thread the nuts onto the bolts and tighten them just a bit more than hand tight. Use the included wrench on the nut, and the money wrench on the bolt.

Step 11: Additional screws

Tools: 2mm? hex

Take the #6 bolts and secure them into the little holes on the outside of the housing. I’m not quite sure why they are there, but that’s probably where they go.

Step 12: Cleaning up

chances are, you have additional parts that you have not used. This is actually intentional as the drives are designed to fit two different types of wheels. carefully bag these components up and keep them in a safe place should you decide to switch wheels in the future.

This should be it, but i might have forgot something. I’m be putting in photos later tonight when I get home.

5 Likes

Quit acting like I was talking shit about the product. What I said is how I feel about the project.

1 Like

I never said that

1 Like