Spintend Ubox 75/200 dual motor controller / The budget high voltage esc alternative?!

We lately have seen a rise of HV escs on the market starting quite a while back with Trampas VESC75/300 which got a big brother the VESC100/200 just recently, as well as different clones of that hardware coming from China and last but not least the hype king from Lacroixe the Stormcore.
Some exciting times, right?
Well yes, if there wouldn’t be the one thing…
They are all playing in the big money league.
(Some of them legitimately, some maybe not so much)

But it seems like we just got a budget option now as well. The Ubox 75/200.
A vesc75/300 based dual esc featuring
16-75V (voltage spikes shouldn’t exceed 80V)
100A continues current per side
Integrated Bluetooth module
Integrated 2.4Ghz receiver
12V 3A output for horn and light (1.5A per channel)
5V 500mA output
Integrated anti spark switch
Bms port to monitor cell voltage on the remote display
optional remote
145x99x25mm

…and that’s all for 199-229$
Sounds too good to be true!

And that’s the reason why I started this thread.
The UBox was discussed already a bit in other threads so I thought it would be a good idea to move the discussion to one central thread where people can share there experience and real live data from the UBox.

The man behind the UBox is @John-Spintend and here on the forum as well.

Link to his website:

They are actually out of stock, but in about 2 weeks there should be a new small batch ready.

If I’m fast enough I’ll get myself two units to test them in my quad i currently rebuild and plan to share some data here as well.

I know @stratoglide already received one or more units from the first batch. Some pictures can be found here:

If you got one or more of those escs I would be happy if you share your impressions here as well.
If you know somebody, who know somebody, who does have one… just tag him :wink:

We need real life data :point_up:

PS: if I forgot some facts, please feel free to correct me.

20 Likes

@John-Spintend do you have a single version of this?

5 Likes

As far as I know there is only a dual available so far, but you could used the dual and run orcas single. In case one side break you can use the other side as back up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Yup, cool thread idea. I got super close to pulling the trigger on these.

2 Likes

In case the category is not right, please feel free to move the thread.

1 Like

Why didn’t you order? They have been sold out before you could order, or you wanted first to see some performance?

1 Like

There was another slightly more pressing need in play, and my budget ended up going in that direction. Given deeper pockets, I would have grabbed one.

2 Likes

Website says 44mm, and it does look quite thicc :grimacing:

I guess 75V is prefect for 16s and some headroom. Should be easier on our current motors than 20s. I hope it proves to be reliable, very nice :+1:

@stratoglide did measure that out
OLD QUESTION: What is the best VESC on the market that is available to purchase?

Seems to be a mistake on the website.

3 Likes

I have a buddy that’s been testing 2 of these units out. He’s been getting similar cutouts on them. He’s addressed the company on the cutouts and they are making changes.

1 Like

@natebolo
What kind of cutouts exactly?
I mean caused by what?
Do you know any failure code he gets when they cut out or something that let us understand from where it’s coming?

1 Like

I would guess they’d be good up to 15S but I’d ask the manufacturer.

They’d probably be rock-solid at 14S, and there are loads of cheap, high-volume ebike equipment built for 14S stuff.

2 Likes

Seller is making a 15s BMS, so you’re probably right.

2 Likes

I was just doing a simple calculation.

People use 12S on 60V parts.

12S * 75V / 60V = 15S

8 Likes

Just ordered one with “XYZ” 10% discount code :+1:

3 Likes

Wow! Can’t beleave I missed this thread! Looks really interesting and that pricepoint is great! Hoping to get some good feedback from whoever gets one.

4 Likes

Seems like a small batch is ready for sale.
They do only small batches to get more feedback and to get along with the hand assembly. Those esc are definitely still only beta units in my opinion.

About the cut outs @natebolo just dropped that without to go more in detail, which is sad, because it’s always good to know the origin.
How ever the company told me that there was an issue in the first batch when the esc reached a higher temp and you accelerated or hit the brakes hard the esc did cut out.
This should be fixed in the current batch.

@Skyart I have two on order. Hope shipping doesn’t take ages. I will definitely will go through some testing and will write some feedback down here as well.

6 Likes

The seller sent me a MSG regarding cutouts that happened at high amp draws. Supposedly it’s solved through replacing a diode. They gave me the option of a partial refund and to send me the replacement diode or to ship it back and have the diode replaced at their cost.

They have been super responsive and seem to offer good customer service but as with any new Vesc there always seems to be small hiccups along the way. As long as the company is willing to address them properly and take responsibility for their mistakes I’m happy.

13 Likes

Let me link this thread here as well as it may answer many questions:

5 Likes

yes, it’s fixed now. we only shipped several pc out, all fixed.

2 Likes