What supply/BEC do you power your accessories with?

What are the popular modules being used? I’m looking around at my options for buying versus building my own. Good or bad choices welcome as long as you let me know which it is. :grin:

12V definitely, but other voltages might be needed. LOL…I can adapt what I am considering adding to my board to fit what power levels and voltages are available from these modules.

Assume 12S input at the most but higher voltage support is not a bad thing. TBH, I’m still coming up to speed on what useful or cool accessories are available. If someone said “Get 24V because it lets you install _______” then that would be great to know.

What modules to avoid is always good to know too.

5 Likes

for 12V right? just for lights or anything else?

1 Like

Mostly lights, 12V-14V, but I’m thinking about some custom stuff that would require 5V too. Though, integrating a 12V-to-5V converter on board the custom stuff is an option that I’m considering. Lots of cost vs size vs weight vs cooling stuff to consider.

I found this very cheap potted one that I am using on 13S and holds up to a ton of vibration and water.

oh then you could stack this one on top
1 Like

I have used 5v BEC rail for small lights and battery directly for beefier ones.

If I were you, I would build power supply myself, just because my style is diy as much as I can. And I know you are capable to do a lot of things :smile:

2 Likes

Which 5V BEC?

Nice…thank you!

1 Like

Integrated VESC’s BEC, I mean

And by “small” I mean 8x(0.02A*3.3V) = 0,528W front lights.

1 Like

Ahh…okay, thanks.

there is also these lighting systems some include an onboard BEC or use external.

Spintend Ubox 75/200 dual motor controller has integrated BEC which is helpful because of the 75v

2 Likes

Awesome, very helpful, thank you.

1 Like

A bit on the bigger side, but can be mounted outside as it’s waterproof.

1 Like

Whoa…looks like a motorbike regulator-rectifier.
Have you used it at high current levels, 10A and above?

I bought the 10A version, but didn’t used it at this high currents so far.

1 Like

@DerelictRobot has a light system coming out but you might be waiting for a few months.

otherwise what i am doing is buying everything 24v (leds, lights…), and then wiring it up to to this buck

for leds i currently have this

with this

obviously, i have space in my enclosure haha.

and these lights

2 Likes