Some Reporting Issues with Vesc Wand (Under investigation)

We really want to address the remote issues esk8 has.
Benjamin will publish a nice and clean source code.
He pushes the bar higher for the good of everyone.

We also anlaysed some other issues like user faults.
The over input for example that causes a board to go from full acceleration to a brake or sends it coasting.
Wrong Failsafe…

1 Like

Absolutely fair mate. Looking at the list I say there are three main things reported

Code freeze - this has been patched out.

Quality of the device thumb control - fair point, its something I have raised on here and IRL with @trampa

Range issues - some have been because of carbon fibre enclosures, waiting on replies for the others

6 Likes

But 2 of these were inside a Lacroix deck and a hummie deck where other remotes have been known to work. The WAND should also work there

5 Likes

Well until then, we’re currently writing our own code on an entirely separate Development effort, which is a bit of a shame as it’s reinventing the same wheel.

As I said, I’m all for unified firmware. But I also can’t wait around for BV to release source. The deeper into development our current codebase gets, the less likely we’ll want merge in given the amount of work that we’ll have to throw away.

So an earlier release would be better if the goal is to get more developers working on a unified remote firmware. Until then we will be forging our own path out of necessity.

14 Likes

it would be fantastic if you and BV worked together in this capacity - make it happen @trampa

5 Likes

This is a fair point.

1 Like

Depends on signal output. A RC PPM can have quite a strong signal and work itself through the CF.
The NRF based remotes work on much lower power levels.
So you can’t say that they should also work because the other worked.
In any case it is not a good idea to throw transceivers into a Faraday cage.

If remotes weren’t released into the wild until they were actually done and working 100%…
I like the compact look of the wand even if my buddys wanna make gun/dildo jokes

4 Likes

https://faradaybag.com/

Then it seems to me the issue is NRF receivers. But, I have an NRF remote inside a CF enclosure mounted to a deck that has a layer of CF, and have had zero issues. So maybe it’s the specific model of NRF receiver that you are using.

2 Likes

Wand is comfortable and fancy and informative, but I will always choose the receiver and remote with the best signal. I have two wands and right now they give me second thoughts when going high speed.

By saying “they should also work” we customers meant we want them to work as others because I really like them.

Edit: verify the current case I have:

1. Evo with receiver under board(no carbon fiber): shut off once in first ride which I suspect the signal got too weak if I flipped the wand so the signal was blocked by the case of wand. When benching testing I see the two dots blink much slower if the metal part of the wand shell is facing the receiver.

2. Trampa beast carbon fiber box: serious disconnects when receiver in carbon fiber box. no issue after moved receiver out.

2 Likes

Jeff has the full video, you can hear the pot disengaging

5 Likes

How often did he take it apart and reassembled it?

Fresh out of box

5 Likes

They all get a double checkup now, so this can’t happen any longer.

So this.

@Lee_Wright
I have had only one signal disconnect ever since I relocated the receiver more towards the front since I’m Goofy and use my right hand for the remote. So I can somewhat safely say it’s ok now. BUT see above.

The one thing I don’t like is the new FW brakes. It throws me off from slow speed to stop. It’s very jerky. Brakes are way smoother when traction control is off but this is a totally different topic.

3 Likes

That is a matter you can debate for hours. What is the best signal?

Pretty easy. A strong signal that does not disconnect.

4 Likes

How about getting one of these fancy doubled checked units to Jeff. Right now it’s only good for bench testing

2 Likes

How do you know which one will guarantee that?