Should I buy a Onewheel Pint?

awesome dude. you gotta be stoked!!! good deal too.

1 Like

well.
son of a gun.

got to try an XR today.

was on the tail end of a ride going through down town.

saw a kid breeze through an intersection a block away and knew it looked like something electric.

so I chased him down and we got to talking.

and he let me try it!!!

also a neat gadget.

based on my “extensive experience” I’m going to say I definitely liked the profile of the Pint tire way better…

2 Likes
2 Likes

that is some air…

They share a hub, you can put a pint tire on an XR without issue. If you just swap the tire it’s called a Prowler and if you get shorter rails and the corresponding fender delete it’s called a Growler

The XR has a 11 x 6.5-6 and the pint has a 10x4.5-6, so you can pick a middle ground like a 11 x 5.0-6 and it will feel better

4 Likes

I have seen how the pint rotor is actually slightly different but you can take it and put it on an XR stator and feel the better torque from magnets? idk kinda confused now.

Same hub different end caps to connect to the rails I think, the smaller pint tire is more nimble

Minor correction here. The Pint motor is a bit narrower. What this results in, is that if you put a Pint sized tire on an XR, the edge of the hub ends up more exposed to the ground. Tipped on its side, the edge can actually hit pavement.

There have been more than a few instances of the hub losing chunks of metal from falls. That’s why TFL released the Life Savers. Their Growler conversion lead to some boards with damaged motors.

And I’m not really into the smaller mods, but I THINK the Growler is the conversion with shorter rails and an XtraRad or similar tire. Prowler is that conversion, but using a Pint motor. I may have gotten that wrong.

3 Likes

Oh that sounds about right

1 Like

wait nm, maybe confused. I thought someone had a tire made that was supposed to help simulate the Pint’s playful feel, but I can’t seem to figure out which one it is, if so.

I love how the pint rides on pavement, it’s definitely got a different feel from an XR but the range, better speed, and tunability options make it a no brainer for me in terms of only having one. I definitely would like to have a Pint as well. For a while I had my XR and a friend’s Pint on loan, and it was great to be able to take friends floating with me.

1 Like

one wheel goood… four wheels bettterrrrr

3 Likes

there looks to be many many tire options for the XR…

almost a turn off for me, because of the need to make decisions…

and the chaning of the tire is not something I think I would be super into… especially if I bought a new one, and was canceling the warranty.

here is the one Mario likes…

on more exciting news.

last night my wife threatened to leave me, if I ask to buy a OneWheel one more time…

there was wine involved… but still.

so there is that…

4 Likes

buy 4…tell her you are building a car :smiley:

1 Like

The quiver can only be so full, you’ll have to make a sacrifice to the skate gods 🤷

2 Likes

But did she threaten to leave you for buying a onewheel hmm? Sounds to me like maybe she’s just sick of you bothering her over it. :wink:

Course I’m a long tenured, unapologetic bachelor, exactly for this sort of scenario, so you probably want to take my advice for exactly how little it’s likely worth… :sunglasses:

1 Like

you are not the first one to present this loophole!!!

1 Like

and now I wanna buy this guy…

that escalated quickly…

1 Like

So I figured I’d hop back on here and talk about the pint a little bit as you all may recall I picked one up a bit ago.

The thing is, I haven’t gotten this thing out as much as I would have expected. I probably put on around 20 miles 100 feet at a time (Drive way) getting the feel for this thing and learning it. I took it on the street once - and immediately all the testing and learning I did felt for nothing. The amount of feedback the Pint has on uneven surfaces (tarmac vs pavement) is enough to make me sorta regret spending the money on it. I personally am chocking this up to inexperience and I’m sure over time Ill get the feel for it and be more comfortable.

This may also come from my lack of interest in anything without bindings on them, even if its toe/carpel strap only I feel several times more “stable” than just gravity holding me on the board and the result of that disinterest is probably amplified by how flick-able the pint is. I suspect that the XR may have been a better bet for me given my preferences but it is what it is.

If I have any other news/breakthroughs Ill report back.

2 Likes

If anyone around San Jose CA wants to try a Onewheel XR, let me know… I have one and have put about 700 miles on it. Very fun.

2 Likes