Should I buy a Onewheel Pint?

Why is it not realistic? You don’t have to go fast but if you are on a flat straight path there is no reason it should be that slow. Especially not for that price.

If i arrive at my destination slower than with a bicycle and don’t have enough range for tours trough the woods the stock OWs have no real use for me. I like the concept and the feeling but the Hardware is just to limiting.

1 Like

The Pint has a functional top speed of 14 MPH, the XR has a functional top speed of 17 MPH, after that they will start to fight you and going faster is dangerous

2 Likes

It’s not realistic because of the physical and electrical limitations of the form factor.

A bike doesn’t drop you if you can’t pedal faster. And a bike doesn’t flip forward more easily for a 200lb rider than it would for a 150lb rider.

A balance vehicle needs headroom to be able to maintain balancing for a variety of riders, so the Onewheel has an imposed limit to try and narrow the amount of riders that run into its ceiling.

Its ceiling exists primarily because of its form factor. The shape doesn’t provide for a ton of space to fit much more battery or a larger motor (if they wanted to). There’s only so much you can put in there. And that itself can only do so much. A Pint has a 1p battery. There’s not a ton of leeway there if you’re heavy and try to go fast. The XR has more leeway, but still it’s not much.

Couple that with the point of leverage from your feet relative to the axle, and you have even less leeway than a comparable EUC.

Mph/$ isn’t really why anyone should buy a Onewheel. And when people ask me if it’s good for commuting, I tell them no. Get an ebike. They’re safer and faster, and more comfortable.

I adore my Onewheels. And it’s because of how they feel to ride. That’s why I still have mine, and why I recommend them. If you want that ride feel, you get one. I wouldn’t spend the money if it wasn’t what I was after.

I, too, have eskates. They go fast and are very fun. It would take be realistic for me to expect them to give the same ride feel as a OW, and I don’t think it’s realistic to buy a Onewheel thinking it’s a speed machine or a practical commuting solution.

It’s likely my love of the OW, and any PEV, is going strong because I manage [lower] my expectations of pretty much everything.

3 Likes

The Dinghy is currently up there as one of my favorite set ups.

It is tiny.
It is a dreath trap.
It probably only gets up to 20mph… If that.

But I really enjoy jumping on it to just dork around in front of the house.

I enjoy the different flavors of these toys.

I’m looking at the Pint as another different flavor.

4 Likes

These two statements pose a question from me; Is that to say that the design of the OW isn’t conducive to someone around 200+ for reasonable speeds (reasonable being what was intended by the developers) that the implication is the design of the OW is inherent to the possible issues that someone of a weight like that could encounter and therefore the final operational characteristics of the PEV are configured in a way to be accommodating for “all” people?

as for my two cents on the over arching topic:

I have two mountainboards myself, I’ve been really wanting to get a fun/float/one wheel for a long time and have almost considered getting a pint because really - the price isn’t that much higher plus having to pay for the floatwheel via Crypto isn’t interesting to me, nor is getting the Funwheel in contrast to the floats hub being from what others have said - superior. The problem I have with my boards is that they are massive so if I want to scoot down to the store for a beverage, I have to take the whole 30-60 pound board inside with me (no I dont want a “thane” board, I like my penus thanks).

I’ve not had much desire to go faster than 20mph when playing with my mountain boards either - so the limitations on the pint just seem irrelevant in the grand scheme of things for me (14mph is a decent cruise and even then my dog isn’t going to run faster than 9-10mph for extended durations anyways :slight_smile: ). My only concern is that if 14 is the top speed - I suspect someone of my size (6ft 225) is going to have a hard time getting up to that speed in the same time as any of my current boards or even my first one for that matter - which again makes me lean toward DIY. /shrug

That said, if anyone has a kit (or rails & hub) from float wheel they’d like to get rid of (provided the motor isnt shot ofc) I’d pay a convenience fee :smiley:

1 Like

You know.
You bring up a good point I have not beat down.

I’m pretty much the same size.

Do the folks that know about these things know how they do with heavier people?

Is the pushback at 13 miles really going to happen at 11 miles because I am heavier?

The holding current for speed will not be drastically higher with a heavier load, you will still be able to hold 14 mph no problem. Technically the Pint can do 16 mph but it will fight you, if you let it come to a stable equilibrium the board will decelerate to 14 mph and stay there. You will notice a little bit of a longer stop and go distance though, as a lighter rider I can easily get up to full speed and stop; and if you try to hill climb it might cut out, the ESC will run up to about 1500W which is about my record power draw on an eskate so there’s not really any way for me to pass the overcurrent limit and have the board cut out but if you try climbing a steep grass hill it could very well say ‘eat shit and die’ and lock up (to a lesser extent it happens on flat ground too, but usually that would result in a nose drag under power still)

2 Likes

Do you mean record of lowest draw :thinking: :joy:

1 Like

No like I legitimately have not pulled more than 30 battery amps in my life :joy:

2 Likes

That’s totally not my mentality. As a DIY guy I always look for ways to improve things. You 100% could fit more cells, power and voltage into the OWs without significantly changing the form factor or compromising battery safety.

To me the design is very strange. They invested so much weight in the hub and frame and then limited the boards with a tiny battery.
OWs are heavy anyway so a bigger battery would not change the overall feel that much.

You sound like a OW sales person saying oh that’s not what they made for. But why not think oh lets make them able to do that! I Also love the ride feeling but hate the power and range.

I modified serval OWs form a 2p to a 3p and the older OWs from a small Li Fe to a bigger Li ion and that makes them much more capable already. If you now increase the voltage you could also make them go a bit faster.

In their current state OWs are very limited. And future motion have so much proprietary shit I wont ever buy one from them. They even solder the Xt60 the wrong way!!!
The future of OWs is in DIY. 20s OWs with a powerful battery will be great and ill make sure to make all the OW guys jealous.

4 Likes

I was soooo close. I was willing to buy a pink one.

1 Like

Haven’t read the whole thread, but my take might be useful for some:

Bought a Pint a year ago, had an absolute blast. I like fast carvy riding, I even think some people never learn that when they start on XR and the stock flat Vega tire, even if they upgrade the tire later they stick to the boring style they developed :sunglasses:

Bought an XR, converted to a Growler, riding it since spring. The difference between Pint is objectively not that big but subjectively for me is huge. Increased top speed very noticeable, on Pint you’d always want to go a bit faster, XR does exactly that. Also when you want to go faster on the Pint the pushback is really really annoying. On XR you can learn to “ride on the edge of the pushback” and it’s fine.

I am now putting Little FOCer into the Pint, it’s a good “vessel” for it and I’ll sell the original BMS/controller pair eventually, meaning I’m not really losing money on it. For that and the above (Pint being carvy with stock tire) I don’t regret buying the Pint first at all.

4 Likes

appreciate the feedback dude.

lots of people here seem to have fun with these.

3 Likes

Well snaps.

Got to try one today!!!

I was rolling through campus on the tail end of a ride on the Llama.

saw some kids hanging out on the grass and saw the Pint…

stoped and asked if I could try and this young Lady by the name of Jesse pops up and says sure.

Interesting little gadget.

I got to ride it way more than the regular Onewheels I tried a long time ago.

I was in full gear so it was perfect.

But it was totally easy to hop on and just go… on flat anyways…

the grass was sketchy…

I really want to try them some more.

And wish I just had the cash to blow on one right now…

9 Likes

Your better than I am, I still not trustworthy of them yet. Sorry to go off on something else but what pads are you rocking?

1 Like

all of them dude…
I need it all.

Fox Titan Sport Jacket
Fox Proframe.
Flatland fingerless pro.
Leatt 3df 6.0 kneel pads.
and padded shorts from Amazon.

takes a minute to get out of the door…

2 Likes

WOOOOOoooOoOoOoOo!

\(^0^)/

2 Likes

Ya know…

I am intrigued by those EUC’s that have 50mph 100+mi range and what looks like some dang good handling off road on jumps.

I know it’s slightly irrelevant but it does have one wheel, and every once and a while like @rafaelinmissouri i ask myself if it would be a good idea. It’s price ~$3000 is around the cost of a dang good custom board so I often ask why I embarked on an extreme build when I could just buy a veteran Sherman EUC and chill out with my current board.

That’s my rant for tonight about devices using 1 wheel and wether or not they should be bought. Maybe in the future I can sell a build and get an EUC as a secondary.

2 Likes

dude… shibby time!!!

1 Like

Funny story, my employer is giving out a “bonus” bonus this year due to our success and effort during COVID. So I decided I’d pick up a Pint. Found one locally for 850 with the fender and 90 miles on it. Figured why the hell not. So picked it up today, thing is a blast. Took it up and down the driveway for an hour getting the hang of it. But for what I expected from it, Im happy with my purchase.

5 Likes