Shortboards and Torque: Findings and Thoughts

Haha, fair. I do realize that some of my issues are the result of my never riding a shortboard esk8 before and learning to adjust to the acceleration lean.

1 Like

Yes, I do own multiple decks, of which I test out my revel kit onā€¦ unless you intend to ride switch and play around with shuvits , which people rarely do in esk8ing, a symmetrical deck with double kick tails or a big nosed front isnā€™t necessary, as we seem to see with a lot of cruiser type decks. I spend half my hobby time thinking up ways to chop short long noses and halving kick tails of decks that come with 19ā€ wheelbases standard. I donā€™t really reposition shorter wheelbases because the fixed wheel wells are often positioned where the drilled holes are, to prevent wheelbite, unless iā€™m sure the newer extended position doesnā€™t invite any wheelbites.

This idea all started with @donta42 with his infamous out of production deckcrafters killdozer deck, and some future chop mods to other decks, subsequently another chopped deck by Rafael, then finally myself getting around to it. I absolutely admire these 2 dudes incredible handiwork as their DIY creations often inspire beautifully.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve extended the wheelbase on my board by 4.5" and it looks and feels like a completely different board. The wheelbase went from 17" to 21.5". Itā€™s crazy how much longer the 32" deck now looks. It looks like a longboard. Practically no concave on my deck with a subtle tail made the extension easy and straightforward. Iā€™m happy with the resultsā€¦ for now :sunglasses:

Iā€™m currently looking for a used Meepo Mini 2 deck. I like the shape and dimensions. Once the BKB Tayto + enclosure combo is back in stock Iā€™ll likely upgrade. If I can figure out how to print the enclosure @rafaelinmissouri made, I might buy the Tayto deck sooner. I also may chop my 36" longboard :slight_smile: Now I just need to finish drilling and painting the enclosure for this board.

1 Like

31" nose to toes 8 1/4" wide 24" wheel baseā€¦ Fun as fuck!

10 Likes

So dude.
Despite my best judgement I ordered some used parts and Iā€™m going to make a build on a Hammerhead.

I have been dreaming about it a long time and have told myself a hundred times not to do it and i donā€™t need it and yada yada.

Well. What happens next is the local skate shop gets one.
And I never get to support them because they donā€™t have much esk8 friendly stuffā€¦

So it is happening. Yellow leopard hammer head. Caliber trucks. Orange kegels.

How are you digging yours so far?

3 Likes

Man I love it. I have to say, this is my first short board so Iā€™m no connoisseur but I know what I like. It locks my feet in so nicely while still giving me freedom to move. Itā€™s like it was custom tailored to me. I honestly would buy another as a manual because itā€™s so much fun. I have a feeling you will share the love.

1 Like

Sweet. Did you do a build thread? And if not could I see some more pics pretty please.

narrow board + wide trucks = fun but unresponsive slow-speed board feelā€¦ I need to add some gas pedals to the Popsicleā€¦

It was just a random hub kit so didnā€™t think it was quite build thread worthy but maybe one day.

Sorry theyā€™re in reverse order lol

10 Likes

Dang. That is super clean under thereā€¦
Iā€™m not gonna manage thatā€¦

which enclosure did you go with?

Get a remote with a long throw like the Mini Remote or something else, and keep the high torque setup.

When you get used to the skate and learn to ride it really well, itā€™s like nothing else in the world. You will learn how to lean way forward when accelerating, and love it.

These are not programmable with regards to throttle curves, to the best of my knowledge, and I donā€™t think you can change the remote. Iā€™d start here by upgrading this to something you have more control over, software-wise.

3 Likes

you will also learn to lean a little less and do consistent manuals with throttle, which i really enjoy on my spud right now :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I used this guy as it was sent to me free. Itā€™s metal and has 2 slots in the back for the cables to fit through. I used cable grommets for a super tight fit.

That blue putty was to transfer marks perfectly

5 Likes

Thank you for the tips. I realized that a lot of my issues were due to being new to esk8 shortboards. After extending my wheelbase and moved my rear trucks back two inches, it feels like a completely new board.

Iā€™m really happy with my shortboard currently. The high torque is amazing. It gets me up the steepest SF hills without the slightest issue or slow down.

Iā€™m already planning with second shortboard :slight_smile: I want to build a budget hub shortboard using a shorter wheelbase. Iā€™m going for a bustinā€™ yoface hybrid style of build.

this sounds amazing. iā€™m not quite there yet but will try this more as I build my confidence on the shortboard

Thatā€™s one of the nicest enclosures I have seen. Seems to fit perfectly on the Hosoi.

1 Like

Yeah I was shocked it was solid metal and that cheap. Doesnā€™t hold a huge battery but it is what it is.

You canā€™t really tell from the photos but I used 2 strips of thin adhesive foam on the left and right sides of the enclosure. The front and back didnā€™t need it.

1 Like

Yeah, seems ideal for a shortboard with a smaller battery

Does anyone know how often used Meepo style hubs like Venomā€™s go on sale in the marketplace here? Iā€™m in the market for one.