Shortboards and Torque: Findings and Thoughts

Planning to :slight_smile: Just need to drill and mount enclosure. Hopefully I’ll make next Saturday, if not the week after.

1 Like

K, @kfred, get rid of that crappy ESC, and get A VESC based ESC before you ditch the short board idea. I have one of those DIYEboard ESC’s, and what makes them seem more powerful than they actually are is the shitty (or lack of) throttle curve. Kind of similar to some of those less refined car ESC’s. Feels much harsher and more abrupt taking off from a stop and with less smooth throttle control at low speeds, and with harsher brakes. Pretty much sketch city on a short board. With a nice smooth throttle control and power delivery, I think you’d enjoy the short board a lot more. Plus, with a VESC, you can tweak the throttle curves and amp settings to make it feel just the way you want it. Don’t let a subpar ESC ruin an otherwise good build.

4 Likes

Good point, and I am planning to upgrade to VESC, but I am not very happy with my deck. The tail is too big for its length and the wheelbase is short at 17”.

1 Like

I’m talking a wide Peralta style deck with a huuuge tail.

Probably just me getting used to it :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

As long as your weight is 70% on the front foot when accelerating, it wont wheelie.

4 Likes

Well dude… the hammerhead is practically half tail…
I do not have a build with that large of a tail and short of a wheelbase.
I expect the ride can be a little squirly.

Making a build with the Hammerhead is one of my wishes.
It is probably my favorite look out of the 80s decks.

If I had money today I might just buy a Vestar Mini and slap that drive train on a Hammerhead with some orange kegels.
Can I borrow a thousand bucks???

2 Likes

Just as soon as I borrow it from someone else.

I really enjoy the feel of the hammerhead, lots of maneuverability. Thanks again @DerelictRobot

1 Like

Dudes.
It is a tight competition between the Ralleycat and the Omakase.
The Ralleycat probably gets a slight edge because that build has a little more power.
they both feel super comfortable and snappy to me.
The Omakase is gorgeous, and probably a bit easier to build with, because it does not have the crazy rocker.

The enclosure on the Tayto is a modified version of this one @dani made.
I had it made a bit taller.
https://dosimplecarbon.com/making-super-nice-3d-printed-esk8-enclosure/

it has held up really well.

On the Tayto. I did like it better with dual motors. the single drive is cute and all, but I weigh 230lbs so dual works best for me.

I like the Tayto, and it is a neat deck, and cool looking. But in a way I think of it as an fat penny board. It is kind of crammed. I like the Omakase way better for confort and stability, and the tail is way more useable.

3 Likes

I reckon stability really all boils down to wheelbase - unless you want to attempt kick flips and ollies with the eboard, a short kicktail (chopped in half) is more than enough to prevent accidental nine-life somersaults… I have found my ideal stable wheelbase for esk8ing to be 19".
16" for me is good enough for those supermarket runs and slow leisurely rides.
I dislike boards that are too long or heavy… to cumbersome to pick up and handle when the emergency arises.

2 Likes

Yep.
One of my early builds I said I wanted a kick tail. I got a 37 inch deck and 90mm wheels.
It kind of sucked…
Hopefully the new incarnation of the deck now chopped off will be good as my self made evolve stoke…

3 Likes

How did you cut that down? Looks great. The wheelbase discussion is interesting. I have room on my deck to move the front trucks forward if I redrill. My deck’s length is 32" with a 17" wheelbase on factory drilled holes. It looks like you have reduced the 37" down to about 34", is that right?

1 Like

This guy gets it.

4 Likes

Has anyone had experience redrilling the back trucks into the curve of the tail in order to reduce the tail? I imagine the trick here would be to properly wedge the tail with an angled riser and not bleeding too far into the tail. I wonder how this wedged tail setup would ride…

I can actually measure it later but I think I went from 37 to 33. I made a template with grip tape off of the Omakase. Then taped it onto the Muirderer. Made a rough cut with a jig saw then cleaned up with a belt sander.

2 Likes

I like the Tayto, and it is a neat deck, and cool looking. But in a way I think of it as an fat penny board. It is kind of crammed.

Interesting. What I like about it is its traditional shortboard length (31") with about the widest wheelbase that length can support.

I like the Omakase way better for confort and stability, and the tail is way more useable.

Interesting. I would not have guessed from the specs that the Omakase would have noticeably better handling, as the wheelbase is about the same as the Tayto. Is it primarily the added length of the Omakase that offers the added sense of stability? Do you think Omakase’s milder concave might also be a factor?

By the way, I really appreciate your feedback in this thread on your shortboard experiences–and I’m sure others do as well!

2 Likes

The Omakase feels more stable and comfortable to me mainly I think because of the longer tail. My back foot rests on there better.
The mellower concave is also another plus for me. Helps with comfort. And the board still turns well.

4 Likes

I have found my ideal stable wheelbase for esk8ing to be 19".
16" for me is good enough for those supermarket runs and slow leisurely rides.

Interesting, thank you for sharing. Just curious, how did you arrive at 19" as your sweet spot? Did you try multiple decks? Did you extend wheelbase on one whose factory wheelbase was shorter?

I dislike boards that are too long or heavy… to cumbersome to pick up and handle when the emergency arises.

I can empathize 100% with this comment. I dislike longboards (no offense to others).

2 Likes

The Omakase feels more stable and comfortable to me mainly I think because of the longer tail. My back foot rests on there better.

Makes sense. Do you primarily keep your back foot on the tail when riding? Do you notice the wheelie sensation during acceleration?

The mellower concave is also another plus for me. Helps with comfort. And the board still turns well.

Thank you. The aggressive concave of the Tayto is one concern I had, as I too find milder concave to improve riding comfort. Although the wheel scoops on the Tayto I assume might help with foot positioning awareness.

1 Like

My back foot is usually resting on the tail.
No on the wheelie feeling. Fat/ leaning forward :smiley:

2 Likes

I made a template with grip tape off of the Omakase. Then taped it onto the Muirderer. Made a rough cut with a jig saw then cleaned up with a belt sander.

That’s a great approach. I have two 36" longboard decks, each with mild tails but with differing concave depths. This has me interested in cutting down the one with milder concave to 33". That seems to be an ideal length for a shortboard setup.

2 Likes