Shortboards and Torque: Findings and Thoughts

Which ESC did you go with?

It was an ownboard esc that was reflashed to a higher erpm

1 Like

Oh right, I forgot that you already mentioned that

how did you reflash the chinese ling-yi escs? :o

ohh so the factory still did it :frowning:

Hobbywing is the only non-VESC ESC that allows you to program it.

http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=641

only the version in the exway can be changed settings with the bluetooth app.

The ownboard ones cant be changed by regular people. you’d need a factory flasher tool

1 Like

There was the FreeFly ARC200, although theya re o longer manufactured. Arguably the best ESC ever made, wish it had gotten more support.

3 Likes

Wow, those look great. Seems like it might be hard to find one to buy now.

1 Like

It is, but they are epic. Look at Jakes IG, that’s @longhairedboy’s kid. He built a monster.

1 Like

Well I finally got my shortboard operational. I appear to have exercised the demon spirit that was haunting it :joy:

I wanted to report back that extending the wheelbase (from 17" to 21.5") has completely eliminated the initial issues I encountered. No more wheelies and I keep my back foot rested on the back tail at all times. Acceleration is also super smooth (though I did have to learn how to lean forward).

This board rides like a dream and I am very impressed by the chinese ESC. This ESC put out a constant 50A with 100A burst (belt motor variant), so I’ve had no trouble racing uphill on the SF hills that surround my apartment. I just can’t believe how incredibly smooth the acceleration is considering how powerful it is, and the braking is even smoother*. I never would have expected to be able to accelerate up these hills with this ESC.

I have a Maker-X dual on the way, but it’s good to know that chinese ESCs run out of the box like a tuned VESC**. I’m eager to upgrade to VESC, but glad I have a perfectly viable alternative.

*Note: This is when using a Meepo MR remote, with adjustable acceleration and braking curves. Most people who used these ESCs are using the old first remote, which has poor curves and a poor throw.

** Note: Chinese ESCs need to be paired with the right gearing and KV ratings to get my results. Without this pairing, VESC is your best option, due to the 8000rpm limiter.

4 Likes

could you point us to this Chinese ESC? thanks

1 Like

He’s probably referring to the newest LingYi ESC, is my guess

1 Like

Yup, it’s the 10S LingYi ESC, but it’s for belt motors and has higher RPM limit than the hub version that Meepo uses. The remote upgrade makes a big difference.

1 Like

is it this? :

or this ?

Thanks for the link but i think everyone here should avoid buying from diyeboard.

5 Likes

What is that 31 inch deck called If you don’t mind me asking.

1 Like

It looks like a regular 8.25" popsicle deck

1 Like

Talking about this beauty with the deep dropdown?

2 Likes