Shark Wheels for eskate

Hello! Is there a reason I don’t see shark wheels on any electric skateboard? Do pulleys not work with the odd shape of the wheel? Or is there a big problem I am overlooking with using shark wheels.

my uneducated guess would be the combination of very small wheel (72mm max?) and diy skills needed to fabricate a working pulley makes them an unpopular choice

not sure if youve seen this, but the other forum had a build including them:
https://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/the-shark-shark-wheel-build-10s-vesc/12839

2 Likes

I think Shark wheels have generally not received good reviews in the longboarding community and also there are no commercially available pulleys for them.

7 Likes

What are the advantages of Shark Wheels?

The only advantage of them is they are A Conversation Piece

6 Likes

Esk8 wheels need a core that allows a pulley to be attached.

Abec core
products-Flip-500x500Bunch-of-Superfly-Abec11-107mm

Kegel core

Venom core

Hawgs

unless you wanna drill through the wheels, shark wheels dont have a core like these.

5 Likes

You can definitely just drill through the wheels though…
…please fuck up those sharks…

Also, only do this if you like grinding through motor mounts and fucking up belts and pulleys because the clearance is gonna be pretty balls on 72mm without some custom hardware or the perfect combination of retail stuff.

2 Likes

Main issue is like @skunk said the cores. You need some of the core exposed for the pulley to mount unless you drill through the urethane and in that case

5 Likes

95mm, 78A, ABEC core, available in solid black or clear blue.

7 Likes

Someone send me these I’ll ride them tomorrow lol

1 Like

I suspect these will be very efficient due to the reduced contact patch. Having used the 72mm shark wheels on a kick board I can attest to their ability to chuck small rocks out of the way.

5 Likes

great find johann

it sure looks like an abec core, but is it an abec core? or abec clone core? or something else?

i assume it says for electric boards, only fits shark electric boards as a means of marketing their boards, but i’m a tad concerned that it isn’t marketed as abec pulley compatible

2 Likes

Time will tell I guess, point is it’ll have a core and the size/duro looks good, so we can make an adapter.

2 Likes

Calling @moon

I have seen one pulley made for them.

There is no flat side of the wheel for it to mate against.

The inside of each wheel has three flat spots from the mold.

3 Likes

oh shit I just realized.

Damn

1 Like

Is that what those are for? I always thought they were just leftovers from the manufacturing process or something.

1 Like

Exactly, but they’re there for our ab-use, so why not use them?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Oh my, you’ve made my day with this awesome find! And the owner finally heard the community for these babies… if only he went to kegel cores though. I’m done with Abec core issues.

Shark wheels are great, if only the dude hired better graphic designers. Their branding looks pretty pubescent in essence

2 Likes