[Serious] [WIKI] Builder tips

Kinda obvious but use and abuse flux when soldering.

2 Likes

Sooo I totally haven’t been using flux…

6 Likes

For sure! But make sure to clean the excess

…or buy high quality flux impregnated solder.

2 Likes

Builders’ tip. Read / watch this:

4 Likes

You’re lucky, I started with a Carbon GT :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I started on a Bamboo GT so even worse (range / sag).

1 Like

From Deckoz and some other forum members…
-Dress for the slide, not the ride.
-Learn the Basics of Skating
-Heelside Shut Down Slides are very Helpful to Learn
-Make the board do what YOU want, not what it wants to do…
-Last but not least… Save up and buy quality gear/parts, esk8 ain’t gonna disappear while you save up

2 Likes

Skate an analog deck first, borrow other people’s esk8 so you know what you love and what you hate.

And a note to self: Don’t build based on which parts you can find cheap/used or to impress. Build what you want to use, in real life.

Another note to past self: Buy a “cheap” chinese board (like the ride1up) first before you start building your dream machine(s).

After a 30 year break in skating, I pushed around a 121c Aileron analog for 6 months on my commute before buying an esk8. If I hadn’t done that, reckon I would’ve been dead by now.

3 Likes

new to esk8, but not new to electronics…

• heat and vibration are the greatest theats to electronics in the field.

• weather / environmental proofing and vibration dampeners will act as insulation, increasing heat.

• if you over spec your electronics you will keep heat down.

• use air movement to keep heat down.

2 Likes

does anyone have a link to charge port fuse holders I will never go above a 4A charger.

1 Like

I bought some in line blade fuse holders on ebay they are small.

like hose

3 Likes

I use this in my devolved build as well. It’s a good size but the wires on the one I got were really stiff and annoying to manipulate.

2 Likes

You could use some blade connectors that fit fuse blades and some silicon cables

1 Like

thx much, I was concerned about the gauge. 16AWG is good huh.

2 Likes

thx i never thought of using these…nice to have option.

1 Like

Like @glyphiks said the eBay/chinese ones have not a little low quality cables. I bought like this but never used it. Works with larger fuses.

1 Like

Hey guys, here are a few Tips I learned:

TIP#1:If you have Hub Motor Wheels, Try cleaning the Rubber tire part with “Armor-All Brand Protectant” from the Auto Parts store when you get back from your ride. I think it makes them last longer and they look great.

TIP#2: For Soldering, the best solder i’ve found for Esk8 is “50% Lead/50%Tin Solid Wire” type. This has no flux in it. For the Flux, I use Rustoleum brand “Rust Dissolver Gel” from the Hardware Store. A lifetime supply is like 5 bucks. The active ingredient is Phosphoric Acid which is the best flux. You can use other brands also, but the rstoleum smells sweet when it burns. 50%Lead/50%Tin Solder + Rust Dissolver Gel with Phosphoric Acid as the active ingredient works great.

TIP#3: If you are going to make a 4 wheel drive board, design it as 2 completely separate 2 wheel drive systems on the same board. In other words, have 2 completely seperate batteries, 2 completely seperate ESC’s, and 2 Radio COntrol Recievers. (Just Pair both recievers to same hand held controller.

TIP#4: Keep all wires as short as possible, especially between Battery pack and ESC. Also, no need to oversize the Gauge of the wires. It doesn’t seem to be necessary. Just go with the same gauge wire that comes on your ESC for the Battery connection, or go 1 gauge larger. Do not go bigger than that.

TIP#5: When you build your first board, don’t set all of the Power and Speed related settings all the way to their maximum. Start out at like 60 or 65%. Remember there is a rule in electronic engineering that you should always have like 15 or 20 % more capacity in an electronic system than it will use in normal operation. So try to keep about like 15% below maximum amps, at least initially. you will be rewarded with longer life of ESC

TIP#6: Never buy used Rubber Tires for Hub Motors Wheels. Find some other way to roll. Used Hub Motor Tires are death traps.

TIP#7: If your particular ESC can function properly with just the 3 Phase Wires that go to the motor wheels connected, I.E. with the Hall Sensor Wires and the Temp. Sensor Wires disconnected, then you might try starting out rolling with the Hall Wires and the Temp. Sensor wires disconnected

. If your system rides great without these items, then connecting the extra sensors and wires makes your system more complicated and there will be more things that could malfunction or cause a problem. With Focbox Unity, I ride with the Hall Sensor Wires and the Temp Sensor wires disconnected and prefer this to when these sensors are connected.

#8: If your ESC stops working but there are no apparent signs of damage, you might try disconnecting the power amnd letting the ESC Sit for 15 minutes or so. Then, take it apart very minimally and spray the heck out of it with “QD Electronics Cleaner” from local auto parts store… Then let it sit like half hour or until completely dry. Hook it back up and see if it is working again.

2 Likes

Don’t use acid flux when soldering electronics! This is intended for plumbing, NOT electronics.
Also use some decent solder, not that 50/50 shit.
If u have the money get some quality solder (Sn60Pb39Cu1)
Some good brands are: felder, stannol, fixpoint

3 Likes