[Serious] [WIKI] Builder tips

Buy cheap buy twice. I cannot overstate how true this is especially in my build. My wheels were crap so I replaced them, my enclosure broke so I had to replace it. Buy the high quality stuff from the beginning.

6 Likes

And don’t put them in your pocket or don’t put anything on your pocket. It can impale you when you fall.

5 Likes

Kinda obvious but use and abuse flux when soldering.

2 Likes

Sooo I totally haven’t been using flux…

6 Likes

For sure! But make sure to clean the excess

…or buy high quality flux impregnated solder.

2 Likes

Builders’ tip. Read / watch this:

4 Likes

You’re lucky, I started with a Carbon GT :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I started on a Bamboo GT so even worse (range / sag).

1 Like

From Deckoz and some other forum members…
-Dress for the slide, not the ride.
-Learn the Basics of Skating
-Heelside Shut Down Slides are very Helpful to Learn
-Make the board do what YOU want, not what it wants to do…
-Last but not least… Save up and buy quality gear/parts, esk8 ain’t gonna disappear while you save up

2 Likes

Skate an analog deck first, borrow other people’s esk8 so you know what you love and what you hate.

And a note to self: Don’t build based on which parts you can find cheap/used or to impress. Build what you want to use, in real life.

Another note to past self: Buy a “cheap” chinese board (like the ride1up) first before you start building your dream machine(s).

After a 30 year break in skating, I pushed around a 121c Aileron analog for 6 months on my commute before buying an esk8. If I hadn’t done that, reckon I would’ve been dead by now.

3 Likes

new to esk8, but not new to electronics…

• heat and vibration are the greatest theats to electronics in the field.

• weather / environmental proofing and vibration dampeners will act as insulation, increasing heat.

• if you over spec your electronics you will keep heat down.

• use air movement to keep heat down.

2 Likes

does anyone have a link to charge port fuse holders I will never go above a 4A charger.

1 Like

I bought some in line blade fuse holders on ebay they are small.

like hose

3 Likes

I use this in my devolved build as well. It’s a good size but the wires on the one I got were really stiff and annoying to manipulate.

2 Likes

You could use some blade connectors that fit fuse blades and some silicon cables

1 Like

thx much, I was concerned about the gauge. 16AWG is good huh.

2 Likes

thx i never thought of using these…nice to have option.

1 Like

Like @glyphiks said the eBay/chinese ones have not a little low quality cables. I bought like this but never used it. Works with larger fuses.

1 Like