Sensoring motors really worth it?

Yes that it will, but only on startup.

1 Like

Ok yeah, any downfalls though?

1 Like

If you ride on flat and starting on steep hill isn’t something you do often, you will be ok sensorless, not saying it will be as smooth as possible, but will work, on hill sensorless may no be able to start without pushing, and if it is that steep, pushing doesn’t help, you stop in 1 m or less

I never killed a sensor, even riding on wet and dirt, put I do an aditional epoxy coat inside the motor

1 Like

Do you have a pic?

1 Like

Best one I could find, it already have a layer from factory but not covering everything

1 Like
  • hall sensors
  • temperature sensors.

vesc has a history with temp sensors causing unwanted troubles. [ when working that telemetry is nice. ]

Do hall sensors have some failure mode that’s worse than oops I’m forced to go unsensored? an extra failed sensor in sensored mode coggy ride home till you disable them?

3 Likes

This does seem to be the correct answer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not that i know of, i wonder if braking is worse on low speeds. Anyone know this?

1 Like

I hope this helps :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Ok that’s cool. I’m scared to open my motors though

Opening them is not so bad, just make sure to take note of where all the parts go (especially the small shim washers under the c-clip)

Putting them back together is scary, you have to make sure that the rotor and stator do not slam together with full force, they will want to do this due to the magnetic forces

2 Likes

It’s not too bad.

1. Remove the circlip. Take note of any little washers/shims.
  2. Attach it to something you can stand on.
  3. Yank on motor can.

4. Tape off, mix and apply epoxy, clean up as best as you can.

I’d recommend doing one at a time. My putty started getting hard towards the end. I’d use something a bit less viscous.

6 Likes

I’m not a fan of the floating flipsky sensors. Might get some putty to put beneath them.

3 Likes

How dangerous is it when a sensor fails? Has anyone here been tossed off as a result?

1 Like

Sensors only play a role at low speeds. They’re unused at higher speeds so I doubt it would just buck you out of nowhere unless a sensor went out while accelerating at low speed.

Thanks for you input @Venom121212. That is what I was thinking, but I came across this post from Deckoz and wanted some more opinions:

Jul '19

I can live with a little kick push while running sensor-less but if the risk of running them is not serious I don’t see why I wouldn’t use the sensors until they stop working and then just switch to HFI.

Hmm I’m busy tonight packing my board up for a road trip or I’d pop it open and try ripping the sensor cables out while full throttling (on the bench, I don’t love you that much lol)

6 Likes

Anybody know how to open 'em cheap stupid Evolve Racestars? One of mine decided to go to Avernum (Don’t have time to buy new ones in China).

I’ve tried to open it but the thing won’t come out. Took the circlip in order to take out the can with the shaft, but seems that the mounting bell is lose and not fixed to the stator, weird. It opens a gap of a few mil but that’s it.

3 Likes

I can just say from the Ali racerstar motors, if you open them up for the first time they get off a bit hard. It’s normal that the first mm are easier to pull and than it gets stuck.
Make sure the shaft is clean from any loctite or what ever threadlocker.
Fix the motor to a motor mount and than just use more force.
There shouldn’t be anything inside holding/fixing the bell or shaft.

4 Likes

Sounds like something is going to fly across the room when I attach the thing to a mound and I decide to pull up! :roll_eyes::grimacing:

1 Like