Sensoring motors really worth it?

Hey guys,

I was planning on making a sensored dual 6354 build when I noticed my sensor wires (Flipsky Motors) were smaller than my vesc sensor port (Maytech).

Theoretically I could go and buy 2 sensor adaptors from them and pay for shipping but is it worth it?

2 Likes

I’ve never used sensors and I don’t see why I would start… So my vote is no.

My dual 5570 setup didn’t stutter at all during startup, and although my Elofty DD motors seem a little confused if I don’t push to start, I just have to give half throttle and they spin up fine.

2 Likes

Depends on if you want that smooth start up. You might have to give your board a slight kick push to get going. I prefer sensorless, feels punchier too

4 Likes

I like my sensors.
one word. Smoothness.
They work without, but sensors?
Smooooooth.

11 Likes

If you’re using bindings, it’s close to a must. Hard to get a good rolling start while strapped in. Not impossible, just not worth it.

6 Likes

Mountainboard = Yes!
Street board = novelty. Nice to have but not necessary.

In both occasions there is HFI which can make sensors obsolete if you can dial it in properly and you like the sound it makes (+ you are forced to use FOC)

7 Likes

Especially difficult when strapped in and you’re on Mud, gravel, grass etc. Can be done but me no likey.

4 Likes

If you’re pushing your motors close to their limits, sensors are great as long as they have a temperature sensor.

I can work without working sensors as long as I can read the temps and my motors can throttle a bit to not cook themselves.

3 Likes

Definitely sensored, don’t want any stuttering or shaking on my esk8.

2 Likes

@Acido

Yeah, ill go with sensored

so far I’ve found these:

(shipping like $4)

(shipping $10)

(shipping like $23)

(shipping $11)

4 Likes

haha yeah, thats why I want to do it

1 Like

reliability>>>smoothness

i wanted sensors too when i started building, then i came till the conclusion that its not even needed, plus your flipskys dont have a temp sensor so…yeah

2 Likes

I killed my sensors riding in the rain one day and made it home ok. They still worked, but it was like riding sensorless. Was I just lucky?

I figure as long as I have them and they won’t street-face me when they go out, why not?IMG_20200709_073610

4 Likes

Ok seems like mixed reactions

Should I go sensored? I want smooth. (Flipsky 6354) I dont really want to be pushing my board everytime to get going

• Yes - Go sensored!
  • No - Don’t do it!

0 voters

Do you still use them?

1 Like

but it’ll make it smoother correct?

1 Like

on that board, one is sensored the other is not.
the one motor has enough sensor magic that it still launches from a dead stop.

this is an age-old debate.
like:
thane vs pneumatics
belts vs hubs/dd
top mount vs under mount…

its all user preference :v:

3 Likes

I plan on running sensors since I want as much data as possible to analyze.

1 Like

If you use HFI you can get most of the smoothness without the risk of broken sensors. I used to be a die hard sensored FOC guy but now with HFI I don’t use them.

4 Likes

Not sure how well it works in the latest release but couple months after first release it just was way to finicky and cogged, so i went sensorless on that board (doesnt have sensors) Wasn’t worth the hassle.

If i have sensors, i use them as long as they work. For me its forever since i haven’t broken any sensors yet.

1 Like