Savage1 TKP Trucks

The ones from omni esk8 will not be the same.

5 Likes

I should rephrase that. They purchased some other trucks from Omni that don’t look as nice :relaxed:

I am drooling over yours, not theirs.

2 Likes

I tried the search function with no luck… what pivot cups do these trucks use again? Thanks!

Riptide Randall

2 Likes

Hi Phil, I want to make my savage1 easier to turn, what combination of bushings do you recommend?

Hey man, absolutely 0 disrespect to @Savage1 as he obviously knows his own trucks best and would surely be capable of giving a great recommendation. That said

This thread is made by riptide themselves and with a few pieces of information about the trucks they’re offering some of the best informed bushing advice out there.

3 Likes

Wedging the front 5-10 degrees helps quite a bit, I have wedges to fit between the deck and baseplate. Also, you can try out different combination of bushings for the front. One that works good is APS chubby board side, and APS Barrel road side. both 90a (yellow) with flat washers. I send the trucks with KRANK Barrels 90a & 93a. I personally like the rear much tighter as I feel wobbles come from the rear, (at least from my experience).
Side note: When I was running belts and the handle/stabilzer bar, I felt much more comfortable at speeds over 30mph. Since going to gear drives, I feel a little less comfortable. Naturally, this could be due to the added weight of gear drives hanging out there. I do plan to add a handle/stabilzer bar to my gear drive setup to see how it helps. I’m 99% sure it will help.

5 Likes

I went tall cone cone in the front :grimacing:. Maybe I should’ve tried wedging…

2 Likes

Ya, that only works with baseplates that I made to accept .75" tall bushings. Wedging 7 degrees front has been perfect for me. I should make dedicated front base plates angled 7 degrees, with no wedge. I feel it is perfect now.

6 Likes

I would love to a future version with split angle.

5 Likes

Do iittttttt.

+1 for APS bushings in the front too.

4 Likes

What about using the surf rodz adjustable baseplates?

Unfortunately, I tried Savage1 hangers on Hammock SR TKP adjustable baseplates with poor results.

There’s a geometry mismatch somewhere that makes the hanger and baseplate bushing seats not parallel with longboard height bushings. This causes the turning response to be incredibly twitchy and the kingpin to be put under immense stress. I broke one kingpin and the other one had the threads rolled over.

It’s really a shame because I was looking forward to running that setup… maybe I’ll see if I can get some dimensions from Phil and Alessio and model a part that has the correct geometry if others would be interested in them. I believe Alessio still has the part of the Hammock baseplate that bolts to the deck in stock.

2 Likes

I’m happy to share the dimensions of the pivot pin in relation to the bushing seat if that would help, but I have no plans to make an adjustable base plate.
A broken king pin?:exploding_head:. Can you sent a picture of that please.

2 Likes

Those dimensions would be awesome!

Yep, broken kingpin. I think a few things contributed, especially that I didn’t know the quality of the bolt used and that it was threaded most of the way up. I think the killer was the geometry mismatch though.

2 Likes

mine came like this , on the back green with light yellow , and on the front wine red with light yellow

3 Likes

I’m looking at my Meepo with the savage1 and gear driver, the skateboard is great, but with little time and lots of boards, here at home, that’s all that goes with the original parts too.

4 Likes

Is it possible to run bn m1 gear drives on these hangers? If so where would someone find the adapters.

You’d need the specially modified hangers and adapters from @Savage1

The hangers are machined to provide enough motor clearance.

1 Like

I have a set specially machined and with the adapters, lol it’s from where I pulled your drives

2 Likes