RipTide Sports Pneumatic / Composite tire project

So there’s no core to the wheel?

Most of their rims look too wide IMO. Which model rims did you specifically have in mind?

Do you have a mock up of the wheel with the rims?

2 Likes

The 1/2" OD metal tubes are used in the mold core as well as the tire. In both applications they are used to widen the tire and provide a standoff to keep the assembly rigid while pouring the material as well as in use on your ESK8. In the tire, they lock the tire to the hub halves and the mount. The Van-K hub halves are made using two different mount patterns on the same center. !/4" and 5/16" diameter and will mount to something like this:

6 Likes

This is what I a using: Van-K Rim Halves | Van-K Wheels, Inc. | Kart and Quarter-Midget racing aluminum wheels

1 Like

That’s pretty cool! You could also then put a cap on the bearing seat to prevent water ingress, similar to 3d servisas finality drives.

Maybe even make them compatible, start a new standard…

6 Likes

Holy shit. How much does it weigh?

4 Likes

The “tire” is around 550 gm then add the hub halves and the mount…it is not a lightweight

7 Likes

Wait. I skimmed this thread but i thought it was gonna lead to pneumies at first. But that wheel looks to be poly. Magic riptide poly, but i still am confused now. Is it just a test model, are you making large poly with some kind of hubs, are these pneumatic polywheels because thatd be pretty darn interesting, what exactly are you aiming to create? Im very interested, probably just confused, im a bit of a stupid.
Edit: if i understand fosters comment and the site you linked, itd seem youre actually more adapting their variable size tires for esk8 application? I think?

4 Likes

This project has morphed several times and will continue to do so in pursuit of viable alternatives to existing products…"hold on to your butts’, it should eventfully provide a smooth, comfortable, long lasting, low rolling resistance, grippy experience.

23 Likes

Suspense master brad over here. Youre like esk8 clive barker, though. Let the trailer be vague. Ill still go see the movie.

3 Likes

I could certainly be wrong, but I suspect the two different mount patterns are to support the American and Metric bolt patterns? Typically only three studs would be used at one time.

• American or US: A=2.125", B=1.75" with 1/4" or 5/16" studs also known as 3 on a 2.5" bolt circle. The 3 bolt holes are evenly spaced on an imaginary circle 2.5" in diameter.
  • Metric: A=50 mm (2"), B= 40 mm (1.5") with 8 mm studs also known as 3/58 pattern. The 3 bolt holes are evenly spaced on an imaginary circle 58 mm in diameter.

From here.

Nothing wrong with your hub design of course, in fact it’s better because it’ll support both US and Metric kart wheels. If you make those hubs I wonder how long it will be till we see kart wheels on an esk8 :joy:

For what we are doing, the 6 clamp points make the setup rigid AF and I am sure I could get away with just 3. Go Kart tires have always been part of the plan :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Sorry, my query was intended to be more specific. Do you have any pictures/renderings of the intended final construction of the rim and tyre? The Van-K link is to a page that just lists product specifications, as opposed to pictures of their rim halves.

Rims aside, what price point would you expect to make a set of four tyres?

1 Like

Pricing is undetermined and the rim halves are shown in the mold core picture separated by the 1/2" standoffs. We will not worry about pricing until we have something worth selling. This is R & D only at this point. I will take the mold apart today when it cools down, and take a picture of the rim halves to pot here.

4 Likes

Photos of the hub halves:

13 Likes

With extra spacers between it should be possible to stack two of the tires between hubs correct?

Or instead for a custom application you cut longer spacers and cast a custom set

2 Likes

Correct on the custom spacers part for a wider or narrower wheel.

1 Like

The urethane tire and aluminum spacers are sandwiched between the hub halves. Overall width is 89mm (3.25") with a 127mm (5") Diameter

39 Likes

Does anyone know the bolt pattern for the Evolve AT wheels? It is 5 holes on what diameter circle? Perhaps someone has a 3d file of the wheel?

2 Likes

I’ve got an stl of the evolve hub, not sure how accurate it is but should be pretty close

evolve at hub.stl (1.7 MB)

2 Likes