Rideneo - Vendor ID Discussion

Let’s try to not derail this topic though! Your post would fit in better in the thread dedicated to the drama: Vendor ID Discussion

I don’t know if you’ve read that whole thread, but if you haven’t, it will probably change your opinion :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I have not read the Vendor ID Discussion thread. I will give it a read.

and @whaddys I’ve been building esk8’s since 2016, and even if Jeff did lie, the IP he’s put together has to count for something, and I want to give him credit for that in pushing our community forward.

1 Like

Knock off loaded hubs, a generic bamboo deck, and focbox clones. Not so original but we’ll see what happens.

9 Likes

Well with Enertion gone, I was really hoping the focbox clones from him could be a quality replacement. I just want to give Jeff (or anybody) that can make a reliable ESC the ability to do that. If Jeff isnt the guy then he isnt the guy. But I think he is, and I want him, or anybody to make a reliable ESC to be successful whether it comes from Jeff or not doesnt matter to me, as long as the product works as it should.

1 Like

It’s a little more complicated than that though IMO. If he is indeed connected with JED, then that means the new customers (including myself) are giving money to a project that is affiliated with someone who ripped off people $$$ who are still waiting for JEDboards, so in effect we are contributing to negligence of those who invested in JED before us. IDK about you, but on a moral level that doesn’t sit right with me and is not something I want to support, regardless of whether the engineering of the NEObox is something to awww at.

7 Likes

This topic does fit better in here, Thanks to whoever moved it :+1:

3 Likes

I understand this , but this doesn’t match the same energy (in terms of the forum as a whole) when it came to Boawheels for the past 3 years.

Is there any one still waiting in their refund for Jedboards ? I got mine years ago and been monitoring to see what’s up with it for the past couple of months. It’s weird that There hasn’t been Any Jedboard refund post in any of the Esk8 social media channels I’m following.

1 Like

Can we just be clear though, what is his work? So far he has delivered near duplicates of existing products with redesigned cases at a lower price. He seems like an ok guy minus the controversy, but I am a bit worn out on the hype. I guess all the excitement is just at the lower pricing?

Thanks for making me feel sane.

21 Likes

It may not be that impressive, but he has succesfully cloned the Focbox, which is unobtainable new. Sure it’s a clone but it was one of the most reliable ESC’s we’ve ever had. No one else has done that yet. The lower price is a huge thing. Having Flipsky pricing for something like the Focbox was the whole reason people were excited about this.

Besides having reliable ESC’s again. People complain about their unities having issues, but not their Focbox’s

Edit: They are no longer existing products.

3 Likes

while his v4 is a focbox clone, did he not engineer the three shunt variation to make the v6?
🤷🏽
there is this running theory that he just had the factory which originally made the focboxes sell him a new batch of pcb’s, but it doesn’t explain how the three shunt v6 came out of nowhere

6 Likes

If engineering is swapping in components from another open-source schematic… To be honest I’m biased here, I spend all day designing out pretty radically different (not yet proven to be better) motor controllers.

The FOCBOX was reliable because the guy who designed it (@Blasto) is a test engineer and setup solid QC processes before they were delivered to customers. I think people tend to conflate design with manufacturing sometimes. Reliability requires both to be good.

I’m pretty sure this is false.

14 Likes

I think probably the main reason I feel differently is just that I value new ideas and concepts, and need to respect that some people just want the stuff they are used to. I would never be the person celebrating someone x-raying an old PCB to copy, I have much more respect for smart people making new and different stuff (like @shaman and his cool projects).

14 Likes

i certainly respect your point of view on this topic, so much so that i wish it was you (and charles and jean-francois who together will go down in history) who brought an affordable three shunt esc to market after enertion’s collapse. especially if it would have been such a trivial exercise. in a way, the three of you would have saved us all this grief

6 Likes

At this point I really don’t feel much grief. As a whole we jumped to conclusions a bit too quickly, don’t have Jeff around much, so now we wait for our ESCs and any lessons to sink in as they will. Sure it was a shit show, but :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I think the real problem is just that low cost typically also means low margin. This means high quantity and high quantity means high upfront investment. I don’t take any issue with people fighting the good fight and trying to provide a low cost alternative to get people riding, I guess I just don’t agree with it being celebrated as innovation when the problems are mainly involving investment. The people making these are clear that they are just copying existing designs that have proven to be reliable, so I’m not sure why we assign the label innovator.

For our part delivering a lower cost reliable motor controller for the standard build, it should be partially addressed with the Stormcore 60D. I redesigned the most common failure point (the power switch failed ~3-5%) so it should be way more reliable. But I do have some ideas for the future where we can do even better in terms of cost. With so many projects in the mix its hard to know what a timeline would look like.

19 Likes

The excitement was about:

• speed
  • execution
  • price

And a brash straight talking dude with high end engineering, design and manufacturing capability behind him, that seemed to know who’s who and what’s what in China manufacturing. Willing to do a hero project at cost as an act of good will to the community.

I’m still wondering how it’s all going to play out.

I’m really glad there’s multiple parties working on next gen ESCs for us though.

7 Likes

I’m very excited to see how everyone’s stuff goes. It’s hard to describe how rewarding (and stressful when things go wrong) watching all the unities in the wild has been. I can’t wait to see what kind of reputation we can build with the Stormcore product line and how the other incoming ESCs stack up as well. I feel we have done our homework but we also don’t have complete information on these other projects, will be cool to see how things shake out.

I also think now that we have established more collaboration with Vedder there is a lot of potential for progress on the software side. It should be a really great year for ESC’s.

16 Likes

Who or what names are on the Horizon to look our for as alternative company’s/vendors making ESC’s?

Asking cause I genuinely don’t know and am interested!

3 Likes

Stormcore, as mentioned. Torqueboards is bringing out singles (and I will be buying), the ZESC guy is bringing something new, and Maker-X as well.

12 Likes

He has new things in the pipeline?

1 Like