rideNEO flexible battery pcb

soldering the strips into slots is a perfectly acceptable production method. They seem to have one of these slots per cell and each nickel tab looks thick enough to handle the current. This means that each solder joint is handling far less than 60A.

In my experience this is a tried and tested way of producing battery packs. this type of construction is found in many power tools, ebikes and other industry applications. I have seen packs built like this subject to thousands of temperature cycles, vibration tests and drop tests. I have even used this type of connection In my own eskate battery packs.

My only concern would be the lack of vias. these not only allow current to spread more evenly but also add mechanical support to the pads around the battery tabs.

10 Likes

We put viA on pcb already. Engineer used work byd China make car battery.

6 Likes

read through the whole thread
WTF

idk why you guys are poo pooing his price so much?
If you can do it for cheaper, then shut up and do it and create your own thread/webstore.

Let me apply your logic to other things:
$75 pulley sets?! Anyone can easily generate pulley CAD models! The raw aluminum cost is less than $5 in weight! You can just get any online CNC service to make and ship it to you cheap! I can make TWO sets for $30. Dont know CAD? pay some rando off craigslist to design the model for you for cheap. duh!

$40 motor mounts?! WTF! the material is less than $5 to make. And the design iā€™snt even that hard to make. anyone can just send a paper sketch to a manufactuer and have it made easily for a fraction of the cost!

$500 battery packs?! just buy the cells, nickel strips, silicon wire and be done with it! You can have an even BETTER pack for less than half the cost!

$100 enclosures?? just make your own fiberglass enclosure for $20 worth of supplies. 500% markup is UNCALLED FOR!

yeah idk why all the above prices in my examples are deemed acceptable and the norm. And when some innovator(s) come out with a PCB battery product that many people have shown interest in, gets hated on so much.

15 Likes

I highly doubt that but prove me wrong

But the logic stands

haha same. Donā€™t really have much knowledge in CNC manufacturing, but someone who yells that can also do a quick google search and come up with this right? XD

I have a fair bit of CNC experience and knowledge now but all of those points are kind of invalid including the fiberglass one

4 Likes

I get your point and I imagine youre talking to me since im the one who seems the biggest hater here. (but im not hating on it at all really and more so really interested in battery design generally). The analogy is a good way to go about looking at pricing. I donā€™t think you will get near as good a price as you think for cncing stuff and the rest of the things youre talking about take work to make. Actually the pcb could make the work to build a battery way less and really drop the price of that, but to actually make a pcb all you do is get it designed, which is something to some degree although this is pretty simple designing, and then send the design and they do the rest. I got the pcbs designed that I had made for I think 80 bucks. so thatā€™s the overhead expense and then you get them for cheaply and I was surprised the ones I got made go down to like 5 bucks I think it was including fast shipping in small bulk. anyone can be in this game.

its a new game for me, pcb design, and I donā€™t know much and maybe the tab to board connection is good enough, maybe the vias are or arenā€™t necessary, maybe a third layer would be the safer way with all cells beside each other not capable of shorting

as I say iā€™ll get one designed and with a price for maybe 20 and see who wants to go in on it. maybe neoā€™s design is fine with what I would think is a small soldered contact. Im sure these are good if not great for everyone as is for normal use! I like to tinker and make another design though for the mechanical challenge. I think you can skip the plastic, make the pcb smaller for more space, and just wrap the nickel around the outside and just slots on the inside, with bigger contacts to solder to, and sold with tabs on batteries. ok someone is going to curse at meā€¦but I feel my name being brought up indirectly! ok if no one brings me up indirectly iā€™ll shut it till done and make another thread then.

2 Likes

Thanks for your good reply. Yeah I do admit my examples were exaggerated to get the point across.

Youā€™re already doing a lot. So much respect for that. I look forward to your thread and see what more you can bring to the community! :slight_smile:

Also felt kinda bad for the OPā€™s sales thread

4 Likes

You not understanding price. Is cost more than material. Cost for support customer if problem. Is easy to pay some to make but can fix if problem? Or make mistake and someone hurt from fire. Is not simple like think. You say much about price but not do.

3 Likes

maybe customers donā€™t want support. at what point would you want support?

the 24 cell boards i got made were between 4 and 7 dollars I think. maybe for the bigger double-size you do, the price goes up more than double. or the slots and the balance traces maybe add the price up, and the nickel. maybe I will learn the hard way.

Maybe you keep you. Is tired trying understand.

7 Likes

Thank you for the incredible amount of patience youā€™ve demonstrated here Jeff.

Please let me know when 12S5P or 12S6P are available, Iā€™d love to pick one up to test out. No need for integrated BMS.

3 Likes

@DerelictRobot Is not anger. No problem. Pcb ready next week for testing.

6 Likes

Wonderful stuff. Look forward to some actual testing and hopefully it turns out to be a winner for you for all the crap youā€™ve had to wade through. Good luck with your endeavours Jeff.

:+1:

@hummieee john leave him alone!!! :laughing:

3 Likes

Engineer making new PCB, is want 12S4P or 5P? We make for how many interest?

2 Likes

12s5p for sure!

1 Like
  • 12S4P
  • 12S5P
  • 12S6P

0 voters

1 Like

Can you tell us the size(like 200mmX450mm for 12S5P) for different styles?

1 Like

I ask engineer. Moment.

2 Likes

for 12s5p is 135mm wide and 635mm long and 22mm tall from bootom pcb. is size might change bit.

2 Likes