Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

i am just dont like idea of revel stopping production and all of us hanging high and dry.

You could say the same thing about anything with a removable battery lol

I have no idea what happened to your setup without seeing it in person, hard to tell from your explanation and pictures. Obviously the urethane can’t cut metal. I have seen those wireguard bolts come out before, some of the earlier production ones had short screws, but those were switched to longer ones later.

I have no idea how any of this damage could have happened stationary in your garage

if its removable - its replaceable. question is - can you find a placement ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I reach out to Revel support, what would be considered a reasonable number of days to wait for a response?

Idk after a week I would email them again

I have emailed them 3 times within the past week and they have yet to respond. The issue I am having is that the battery will cut out at around 40% and I lose the ability to brake. I am not sure what is causing the issue, maybe the cells need balancing? I had previously sent my battery back to Revel to get it tested, then they sent it back and said they could not find anything wrong with it. Someone on Trustpilot had this exact issue where it would die at two bars so I do not understand how they could not identify the issue with my battery even though they had dealt with it before. Any suggestions?

Trust pilot is just a bunch of people that have problems complaining - no one actually goes on Trust pilot to give a company a good review from what I see most of the time

Anyway, I think I may have been the one that looked at your pack. I seriously took the whole thing apart and checked every connection in it. I have seen issues like that before and been able to reproduce them, and solve them. It slips my mind if we sent you a new pack or not. I think we may have.

Does your issue consistently happen at 40% battery? And it only happens when you are braking? Has it ever lost power at other times? In the 100+ packs I’ve looked at, I’ve only seen one out of balance and that one was a 2017 battery pack.

I just figured I would mention the trust pilot bit since the person’s battery died at 2 bars, sent it in for repair and they sent it back with the same issue. The same thing happened to me. To be fair, when I initially sent it in I did not know what the issue was and I just assumed the battery shut off due to vibration. When I got it back I realized that it was consistently shutting off at 40% (happened 3 times). To clarify, it does not happened when I break but I do lose breaking at 40% due to the board shutting off abruptly. I am wondering what might cause this and I found it interesting that someone elses battery was shutting off at the same percentage.

Interesting. It may just be a coincidence. None of the batteries I looked at had issues with shutting off on braking, it was always just like when you accelerate or if you tried to ride at all, or with road cracks.

When I tested batteries after repair I always mashed the accelerator and brakes too. Weird that it got through that. Can you take a picture of the back of the battery with the sticker on it? I want to know what batch yours was, I think your first one was a V2, but it likely was replaced with a V3.

It shuts off when accelerating. What I meant was that since the kit turns off, I lose braking.

1 Like

Ah man that sucks. I’ll check on what the issue was with that particular battery haha

How comfortable would you be with opening it yourself?

I’m comfortable with opening it.

Do you think you could open it up and take some pictures? Be careful when you open it because it should be a V1 battery with the USB board screwed to the upper shell. I have a technician guide that I wrote if you need extra assistance with opening it, but it is fairly simple.

If you can, take the pictures in a well lit area

Okay, I am opening it right now.

1 Like

Looks pretty normal to me, can you take some pictures closer to the connections?

You can also gently pull back the tape to show the balance wires

So hold on. Can you share a few more parameters. I see that it is the standard range battery. What size wheel. How much do you weigh? How far do you travel before shut down.

The standard range batteries are travel batteries. You can get 4 -8 km range out of them if you baby them on speed 2 or 3. However, if you are riding around on speed 4 accelerating hard then it should be no surprise at all that your system shuts down at 40%

40% on a travel battery just does not have enough capacity for any hard acceleration. Larger wheels and heavier rider would just add to this being a case of unrealistic expectations.

The Revel kit is designed for multiple batteries. I think you may not understand the product category well enough if you expect to travel far and accelerate hard on a singel quantity of such a small battery.

I also suspect you may not have a full appreciation of what the 40% means. It means that you voltage is 60% of peak voltage and only 40% away from nothing. Several seconds of hard acceleration can easily cause a voltage crash that takes you down to the minimum voltage and a shut-down

My gut tells me that the only problem with the battery could be expectations.

A travel battery needs to be ridden like a travel battery. Short distances and on speed settigns 2 or 3,

You can’t make a travel battery perform like a pair of XR batteries just by expecting more.

If @ShutterShock evaluated your battery and found no problems then the real solution here might just be to invest in two XR batteries.

I had the board since November and I know how it should ride. There is definitely a problem with the battery. Either way, it is not okay for it to unexpectedly shut down. This is obviously very dangerous.