Revel at the "brand" new competitor in the direct drive Esk8 race!

Just one. Let me know if you can hear the difference.

Do you know if the Windmill wheels work with the Revel or just the Honeycomb?

Unfortunately the Windmill wheels would not work with our kit as our adapter only supports the standard Kegel core.

Bummer…I may give these a try:

2 Likes

If you do, please give feedback here!

Look on reddit about shark wheels. They get a lot of hate, I’d stay away. A good alternative in my opinion are the ollin popocas and they’re only $20 right now. The cloud ride hurricanes might also be good. Also, check this out: Wheel comparison thread!

For anyone interested, I found a larger 500mah battery which is double the capacity of the one that comes in the remote. It should still fit based on the measurements I took. I’m just not 100% sure if it has the right connector though. https://www.ebay.com/itm/122665565599

1 Like

Yeah I managed to fit a 500mAh one in my personal remote as well, I had to cut the connector and solder it onto the old wires though because the default jst is so small. I believe it’s the size smaller than the 1.5

The 95mm shark wheels aren’t even out yet

Shark wheels in general get a lot of hate. I mean they could be decent, I haven’t personally tried them.

Finally a break in the weather, so spent this morning riding, and you’re right, it is somewhat more stable at high speeds in reverse. Don’t think I’ll swap the motor to the front though, because my setup is now also perfectly stable at high speeds with RWD. And the comfort of jumping on without having to think about putting it in reverse outweighs it for me. But great tip!

1 Like

Hi P, so went out and got a fair couple of miles under my wheels today. Your padding tip works, it is actually a little quieter on bad roads or cobblestones, but it’s not a world of difference. Maybe my expectations (hopes) were too high, could be. Do you think two gaskets will make for more cushioning? On the back truck, unfortunately, the gasket isn’t lasting, because I couldn’t get it in without cutting into the gasket. But now, due to the forces working on it, it’s starting to slip. See picture. So I’ll have to go back and actually disassemble the rear truck fully in order to get the gasket on in one piece.

I got mine broken battery for the repair service recently and it had the same problem. It was fixed exactly like you suggested.

These are looking so amazing, I’m thinking about getting such ones. It would be great if you can keep posted about testing.
The biggest question for me how much they do cut the range from the standart or ER batteries?

1 Like

Sweet! Glad it worked out for ya!

1 Like

For some reason they seem to affect the range on the standard range batteries more than the XR. This is likely due to the fact that they use a different cell. If I had to average, I would say they do about the same as mostly inflated pnummies on a regular board - would expect 20 to 30% range cut on average. Your mileage will vary

hah

1 Like

What whould you say about comparing that ones versus cloudwheels 120mm in terms of vibration absorption? And does cloudwheels cut the range much less?

Direct comparison I prefer the cloudwheels. The black wheels are just really soft, and while they have their benefits, I think the cloudwheels are a more plesant experience for me. I’ve never ridden pnummies before so I’m not used to the soft feeling and not feeling the road very much.

From the cloud wheels, they absorb almost as much vibration as the black ones, but the cloudwheels are more responsive. The cloudwheels do seem to cut the range a bit less, but obviously since they are bigger they do put more stress on the battery and heat up the motors quickly, your braking power and acceleration are also reduced

3 Likes

So you don’t really need to disassemble anything. The trick is to push the pivot bolt completely in to it’s recess. At that point you can slide your rubber washer in and you only need to lift the drive assembly away from the base plate about a half inch or less. Then pull the pivot bushing back up to full height and thread the nut.

The amount of difference you notice will be a function of how dimpled your pavement is. If your climate involves alot of snow, salt and snow plows then the asphalt takes on a deep texture that can rattle your bones and lots of different skateboard parts. So on smooth roads, adding the rubber spacer is a small improvement. On deeply dimpled pavement it is a much more noticable improvement.

Another thing you can do is to just remove the lower washer. It adds relatively little support to the bottom pivot bushing. Just a few mm to the left and right of the base plate.

pk

1 Like

My theory on the reason that range is reduced with larger wheels is that 20% larger wheels is equivalent to 20% harder acceleration load (for 20% less actual acceleration experience). These intense acceleration loads trigger deep curves of voltage drop. The smaller the battery the steeper the curve. Riding these curves down to below critical voltage is what has the greatest effect on shortening range.

So part of the cure for large diamater wheel range loss is for the rider to accelerate as gently as possible. The other part is greater battery capacity – either in the form of 4WD or by adding parallell battery capacity. The larger the battery capacity, the flatter the curve for voltage drop.

This is why doubling the battery capacity will usually result in much more than double the range.

1 Like