šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread_2020_summer

I used to work for MapQuest (yes, they still just barely exist) and this was an entirely new app that a couple of wanted to get built. Specifically for PEV navigation and to use the accelerometer to collect road surface data. Unfortunately Verizon had just aquired us and consumer products were almost entirely abandoned. Iā€™m confident it will happen eventually, itā€™s just a matter of the right people getting together on it.

3 Likes

I have a set of the black, raws and definitely gotta get these, NICE work as always!!

3 Likes

I used to print out MapQuest all the time!

1 Like

Every version you make keeps getting better :star_struck:

2 Likes

Weā€™ve chatted about it more in our shop talks but have been quiet about it otherwise. Donā€™t mean to be coy, were just wanting to build something to show before we talk about it too much. Itā€™s been in the works for a good minute though.

sk8net will be a data network with online, connected services for our boards, bikes, PEVs. Users will have a garage of boards with various devices that can be registered (ie: Robogotchi logs, DavegaX stats, Yours Truly logs, etc) and the ability to track historical log data as well as publish your data to a shared community database.

The endgoal is to build it out with an open & documented API so that we can connect with a number of different types of PEVs/devices/vendors/OEMs. This is all being done through our FreeSK8 Foundation NPO and is intended to be an online community resource.

18 Likes

Just playing with things and fun!!

3 Likes

On a more serious note, @RideNebula has some cool stuff coming up!!

5 Likes

Holy shit.

6 Likes

Used to

Exactly. The only reason theyā€™ve even lasted this long is the staggering number of people who still do this, which of course is a much older demographic. This means their user base it literally dying out. Itā€™s really a shame Verizon botched things they way they did, because it was really interesting work.

1 Like

Well ya know what? Iā€™m going to start doing that again. Iā€™m no Gen Zā€™er. I still own printer paper.

For some reason I thought you made the stuff on that site. Are you co engineer?

1 Like

Yeah he does. Heā€™s the machinist/engineer/other half of the company. Iā€™m his younger brother that ruined his life by introducing him to this hobby through which he has met all you lovely trainwrecks.

12 Likes

Awww, so heartwarming.

5 Likes

Looks super fun and Carvie what battery are you making and did you decide on rims and tires yet?

3 Likes

Yā€™all make a great team & products.

3 Likes

My board has been done for a while, I actually took the wheels and battery off to make it easier to pack cuz Iā€™m bringing it on vacation with me :+1:

It has a 12s8p P42As and widened trampa treads on superstars

4 Likes

That looks bad ass :call_me_hand:

Can I come where are we going?

2 Likes

Fucking gorgeous and lots of testosterone I love it :muscle:

5 Likes

And I love it!

3 Likes

Getting a real Pinhead vibe from those wheels!

2 Likes