šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread_2020_summer

thats a sweet ass board

1 Like

Yes. I got into Lipos by necessity. I wanted to travel with the board but li-ions are too big so got Lipos and couldnā€™t believe the difference in performance. They hit harder, no voltage sag, more range than equivalent li-ions, cheaper and 10x easier to build.

This is my 4th set of lipos and I have flown around 15 times with lipos. They donā€™t even give it a second look at the airport. lol I have been through Barcelona, krakow, manchester, London and a few other airports with 5s, 3s, 4s setups. Max I have taken is 4 batteries and thatā€™s the latest setup. 4 x 3s. Legally, you can take as many as you want under 99wh.

Regarding the LTT bms. I donā€™t like to change anything on the lipos themselves. Keep them as they come from the factory. Add balance lead extensions to the lipo balance leads which then go into the harness of the BMS. That way, just disconnect everything and the Lipos look legit.

the 4.15v thing, you can open your charger and some have a trim pot you can turn to bring the voltage down, or just keep an eye on the bms app and unplug when you get to around 4.15v. In the app, I set it to start balancing at 3.9v so by the time 4.15v comes along, cells are properly balanced. This Bluetooth BMS really is a lifesaver.

3 Likes

ah cool, thanks for that!

yeah this was the main bit I was wondering about, I used to work in an airport and I wouldnā€™t trust the average security guard to know this and was wondering if you get hassled with more than one or two. Cool to see it goes smoothly. Some airlines set their own additional rules (Iā€™ve seen max 4 for one of them I think) but weirdly people like Ryanair specify a max of 20?

So do you just unplug it? I might end up just modifying a charger to output 49.8 (3.15x12S) because Iā€™m alright with electronics and Iā€™d rather change that than the BMS, I want to just plug my board in and not have to think about it for a while and Iā€™d prefer the charger to shut off early

1 Like

No problems so far travelling. They donā€™t even look at it dude. I was nervous the first few times but donā€™t really think about it now. Worse case, they take them away. Lipos are easy to find anywhere.

Yeah, I just unplug it. The bms app has a function that notifies you when you hit a certain voltage. so I use that.

2 Likes

ok this is all very comforting, Iā€™ve got about 5 weeks before I can go anywhere so Iā€™m gonna order some lipos before then. Cheers!

1 Like

How long is your board? Donā€™t bother booking sports luggage. Just book regular luggage and they will just tell you to check-in the oversized baggage drop. Fuck paying extra. I was travelling with a trampa deck and a 100cm longboard. haha

this is my bag
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B018H6SYPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

oh yeah I meant to ask about that. I was being paranoid reading the terms of service for ryanair and a few others, they basically state the basic ā€œno lithium in checked bagsā€ - fine. But they also add that skateboards or whatever are allowed in checked bags, never in hand luggage, and that no machine that can move itself is allowed at all even in checked bags. What I had been planning was just remove the motors + mounts and put them in my carry on with the lipos, and put the board in my regular checked bag.

Itā€™s ~90cm so I think my normal suitcase would work for a checked bag, I had no intention of pay the sports luggage thing though

I checked in everything including motors and trucks etc etc except the batteries. Its all disassembled though.

yeah I reckon disassembly will just be easier for fitting clothes around it if nothing else, and Iā€™ll need to work out what Iā€™m doing with enclosure dimensions as well

Before Brexit, I would post the heavy stuff to a UPS drop off location and just pick it up at the destination. Canā€™t do it anymore. annoying.

1 Like

What do you think about getting one of those plastic cars like in grocery stores then making a trailer out of that? Or you could make an actual small model Car thing and come to think of it you could even let the kids steer it if it has its own drive and you were just tethered for safety.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve joked about making these things all the local farmers have for their kids.

But like an esk8 single or double size obviouslyā€¦ Would need some 10 kv motors for the train :thinking:

6 Likes

I like the idea of something being tethered to an eskate for safety

2 Likes

I mean it would basically be a low powered go kart attached to the back of your board using one of those retractable dog leashes, so your kid doesnā€™t take an unexpected turn behind you. The you just cruise around town. Run errands etc.

1 Like

Thatā€™s sick! How did you do it?

3 Likes

Witchcraft

Hydro dip?

3 Likes

Yeah, my secret Alchemy is out of the bag.

Painted first, then used Black/Clear Film

3 Likes

Came up sweet dude, nice work

2 Likes

Thanks man,

I still have a spare enclosure that I was hoping to find a home for, fingers crossed I can find someone wants this one, or wants me to jazz up the other one in their own colours.

Got a few more films Iā€™d like to try out.

9 Likes