Reinventing the wheel

Lol yeah, if someone made an esk8 with solid aluminum wheels they should run it at Bonneville

2 Likes

OMG this is what I need. reliability and absorption without compressed air!

Hit em up for an esk8 sample lol

1 Like

I think @Nacho has the xcells on newbees.

3 Likes

I think he has shared pictures of the xcell ones on there too, he also has tried the meepo tires on them

I could be remembering wrong tho

1 Like

found it - no test fit unfortunately. Still gotta wait on someone to try it out.

3 Likes

Small wheels like metro 155 give that little extra performance which is good on the track. For fast street riding, for me, they were detrimental to my right (goofy) knee, along with other factors like deck stiffness and weight. Switching to stretched 8 inch Kenda’s I didn’t notice much performance loss for street riding but a lot more comfort. My knee is still pretty messed up from the above mentioned, going to 10 inch tires and suspension now. Tire testing has gone well so far, way more comfortable, maybe a little more sluggish, similar effeciency… For street riding, 8 inch+ imo; for track, the tire with the most grip.

2 Likes

Not necessarily.

1 Like

@Linesflag why not?

Cos, like I said…

Elaborate

I’m not following your logic there. bigger contact patches and lower pressures usually result in more grip, not less.

A bigger contact patch means a greater physical area over which weight is applied. Pressure is a function of force over area, so same force and bigger area = less pressure. Mechanical grip is a function of pressure. Less pressure, less grip.

5 Likes

This. :arrow_up:

2 Likes

Could not have said it better. :smiley: Fatter tires look wayyy nicer though.

1 Like

Why does everyone race on wide wheels? I assumed it had to do with grip.

1 Like

It does, to an extend. There is a lot of math involved to get the perfect contact patch, and you can not go bigger = better. :smiley:

Here is a short video on the concept.

While you’re at it you could watch the whole series, it’s very interesting. :slight_smile:

Essentially race cars have wider tires because they have A LOT more downforce (pressure) than your normal street car (or board in our case).

3 Likes

I love nerding out on F1 so I probably will watch the whole thing.

1 Like

Learned this the hard way. Saw the phenomenon in action. Detailed here:

2 Likes

Exactly. This is why my winter tyres on my car is 215 wide, and summer tyres are 245. :smiley:

3 Likes