Reinventing the wheel

Interesting, I like my kendas on gt3 for speed. Definitely want metal rims for speed tho, not rockstar2

1 Like

Taller sidewalls can eat shit. Feel sloppy and less like a skateboard

3 Likes

I had a plan to buy some of that expanding foam in a can for filling traintracks and potholes on my route

3 Likes

I just need rims that use 5" tires and 6" tires interchangeably, adding more air for the bigger diameter. more air = more better but smaller diameter is also more better.

1 Like

Yeah I have to agree with you.
A larger tire with with a taller sidewall and lower tire pressure feels like it absorbs rather than bounces you off the ground at higher speeds.

But on the other hand I hate the soggy feeling you get while cornering on such a tire.

3 Likes

Maybe some sort of urethane reinforced sidewall doubles as a run flat

2 Likes

could add a urethane tread too, and also replace the air with urethane.

2 Likes

I think even Michelin found out that airless tires aren’t as good as ones with air in them

I mean compressed air

3 Likes

aren’t airless tires being used on mars rovers n shit? and ultra heavy machinery?

Not on high speed vehicles I think because of cornering characteristics

3 Likes

what about a pneumatic thane? doesn’t it wear better, have uv resistance better than rubber and its easier to manufacture

Why not MBS rockstar2 for speed?

Lacroix, flux, others use them - seems like they’re a good cheap default.

1 Like

I’ve just found that the metal rims help overcome slight imbalance in the tires, especially on Apex Airs

If your tires are perfect it doesn’t matter, but running my mbs t1 on rockstar 2 is significantly more wobbly

5 Likes

Interesting question.

Not necessarily. Depends on the tyre pressure, the compound and the resulting energy loss through deformation. But probably, yeah.

Also, bigger contact patch (and constant weight) = less pressure = less grip. That’s mad science.

2 Likes

Trying to research it is a nightmare of airless urethane foam tires

2 Likes

I wonder if that has anything to do with the profile of the lip?

If the GT3s fit xcell wheels, I’ll probably pick up a pair for my new tomiboi street cruiser.

1 Like

Take train tracks at 45 degrees, and don’t go slow, and even 85mm polyurethane wheels can sail right over them at level crossings.

2 Likes

Yeah the nice ones with concrete are fine at speed I’m talking the asphalt nightmare valleys though

I’m talking about those too. I went over some particularly nasty tracks last week. So bad in fact that the train derailed right there the next day.

If you take them at 45 degrees and don’t go too slow, you’d be SHOCKED what you can go over. Both of those are very important though. If you slow down because it’s scary or if you take them head-on, it’s bad news.

5 Likes