Reinventing the wheel

Everything seems to be moving toward bigger pneumatic tires and hubs.

What are the cons vs pros?

There’s more air volume between the pavement and the hub.

What about smaller diameter hubs using tires with more sidewall surface area/more space between the hub and tread?

4 Likes

More force on the rims resisting tire slip.

3 Likes

Fat tires look sexier. Also more rubber / wider contact point should give better grip, although my TB160’s have crazy grip and those are skinny AF.

It’s mostly aesthetics for me.

1 Like

oh yeah through more surface area

2 Likes

Smaller hubs would require some way to prevent the tire slipping on rims. Maybe some kind of rim lock.

1 Like

bigger contact patch is more rolling resistance though, right?

Like a bead lock with a single threaded attachment for easy removal

1 Like

From what I’ve heard, tires with larger sidewalls tend to ride very sloppy, especially in racing / small turn conditions

It’s possible that a smaller rim with a larger tire could be good for offroading situations though

3 Likes

Stiffer sidewall?

1 Like

Maybe, I don’t know. I can say though that my 8 inch kendas definitely feel less nimble than 6 inch sunmate

3 Likes

People must be going to the gym more

Bigger pneummie wheels:

Cons: shorter range, heavier, costlier, bigger

Pros: appearance, comfort, more routes

Shorter sidewalls are better for racing and cornering and taller sidewalls are better for offroad, I think.

2 Likes

You can’t have “being bigger” as a con for larger wheels

Why would you buy larger wheels if you didn’t want them to be bigger

Comfort is definitely the main pro, as is the main pro for going larger with wheels most of the time. Also, it is not guaranteed shorter range with larger wheels, if you compensate properly you can have nearly equivalent range. The biggest effect is tire pressure tho in my experience. 30psi is up to almost twice as inefficient (depending on speed) as 40 on my board

That adds up, with a smooth track you don’t have protrusions causing disturbances like you do offroad

4 Likes

You can if you’re trying to carry it through doorways and crowds of people. There are other times besides when they are on the ground.

Just like it sucks if you have a lifted duallie extended cab, long bed pickup truck and you’re trying to parallel park.

3 Likes

Well okay sure but we’re not talking the difference between 90mm urethane and 8 inch tires here

1 Like

You’re right most of the time the difference is minimal but for example going from 6x2s to some nine inch mudpluggers could make a difference there.

True, personally 9 inch is exclusive to offroad for me, they feel so sluggish

Pros:

• Performance over obstacles, roots, curbs
  • Traversal of cracks, potholes, uneven pavement
  • Vibration reduction

This is not a comfort thing. This is a good road vs shit tier roads thing.
Reliability, robustness, build longevity.

I cannot use urethane unless I commit to a large reduction in skating areas.

3 Likes

See I like them for speed too because they keep me more grounded. 8" feel overreactive to me.

2 Likes

Who puts curbs in the middle of the street lol

No one. Available routes increase when you can roll off (and potentially up) curbs.

1 Like