Redstar | DIY onewheel

I’m remembering this for later :smirk:

5 Likes

the smaller ones are not wheels, but a rotary emergency antiground support mechanism

@mmaner see its not technically a unicycle you can ride it your in a safe place :joy::joy:

7 Likes

:heart_eyes: How much did this set you back?
Looking forward to you changing the motors, make it go 50mph!

5 Likes

Great build bruh

5 Likes

It was quite cheap mostly due to the 60€ DIY battery. I bought parts for around ~300€ + a roll of printer filament, and I already had that focbox. Substituting with a cheap flipsky, the total comes to around ~400€.

Oh and here are the actual dimensions. It is surprisingly compact but quite the chonker due to the frame being all metal. Luckily aluminum profiles and plates are super cheap, I got mine from Dold Mechatronic.

2 Likes

Oh I’d love to! But I’d also love to live, so maybe I won’t go for 50 :sweat_smile:

How does that axle on the motor arrive? Trying to wrap my head around what mechanics/bearings are involved in the axle area

1 Like

The axle has two flat spots to lock it from rotating and screw threads in the center, like this:

I machined a piece that has a fitting hole for the axle ends and screw holes to attach it to the axle and frame

axleholder

It all goes together like this, the wheel axle goes in those slots.

I’m not sure how the “real” onewheel does it, but this is what I come up with and it works fine.

7 Likes

Cool, that makes sense. :+1:

1 Like

This is actually really cool. For 400€ it’s a great price. I would live to make one of these someday. I would want to throw a huge battery in there for 30+mile range. Also I would need to go faster the 16kph. Is there other hub motors that have a much higher kv out there?

3 Likes

I bet the motor could be rewired for wye if it is delta.

The larger diameter hub motors probably have higher top speed, but low KV is ok you just have to use 12S at least.

I did send a message to PEI pei asking to confirm the Kv for the phub-188. We shouldn’t have to approximate it.

3 Likes

If he is getting 16kph on 10s 12s will get what maybe 20kph?

16km/h * 12S / 10S = 19.2km/h

3 Likes

What if you went to 20S using one of these

That should get you to 32km/h (19.8mph) on the same motor.

5 Likes

I’d be nice to know that wire is used in the stator. Also from looking at the windings we could determine the Kv maybe.

I’m sure the insulation breakdown isn’t gonna be a problem under 100v, but peace of mind would be good.

Pei pei read my question about the Kv and did not answer. What a great mystery.

3 Likes

This is awesome good job dude! Might be a fun future project :thinking::relieved: Any idea which replacement motor you want to get?

1 Like

There’s no reason other than PeiPei being difficult that this motor couldn’t have higher kV as well. Perhaps I could change the motor termination to delta if it’s wye now, going to 12s with that would net me ~32 kph which would be enough. I’d just hate to take the motor apart and possibly break it.

I have around 25 km (~15.5 freedom units) of range, that would go up to 30 or so with the 12s3p. There’s space to extend the battery downwards like the onewheel extra packs do, but would require modifying the frame. If you like massive range then that’s certainly possible!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s my experience with them aswell. I got bunch of responses from them but they didn’t actually contain any information… It’s a shame since all things considered this feels like a good motor, smooth and solidly built, I’ve had no issues with it. Just by listing KV values and maybe even giving some option would surely get them more business.

2 Likes

You should make some onewheel frame kits in the future and sell them.to people like me!

5 Likes

Yes pls

1 Like