Recovering from injury

Count me in as a member of the broken boys club. Three weeks post surgery.

12 Likes

Damn bill! I knew you got a good one, but not that good.
Hope you( and everyone :arrow_up: there) a full recovery.
Like what others have said, physical therapy is important. Also movement as soon as the Dr’s say so.
I was too chicken to move my broken humorous for too long and ended up with a frozen shoulder which needed quite a bit of PT to fix.
The mental challenges of recovery are real/challenging, but are surmountable.
In the last four years I’ve broken 1 humorous, 1 hand and about 6 cracked ribs between esk8 and snowboarding(+1 hand not sports related).
My time in the orthopedic waiting room humbled me from self pity after seeing all the lower body injuries roll through.
Respect to yall in a sense that I empathize/understanded the mobility challenges of lower body injuries.

5 Likes

Holy balls @BillGordon did this just happen??? 3 weeks post surgery now?? That looks gbarrrrly, sorry if I missed the memo on this one, i haven’t been as active lately on the forums. Fuckin hell man, care to give me the short annotated scoop on what happened? @PedroMcJimenez is right, don’t get lazy on your PT! But also, don’t get overzealous :rofl: i think that’s maybe why one of my fractures shifted (wasn’t listening to PT instructions and putting too much weight on it too fast)

Edit: @BillGordon ill say that bone looks like it’s lined up PERFECTLY THO

4 Likes

Thanks, dude. You’ve had your share of van damage. I’ll keep your advice in mind.

2 Likes

Full throttle event. Wearing only helmet on “milk run”. Genius.

I’ve been quiet about it in general.

I received great treatment and fully covered by insurance.

Hope we all recover great.

9 Likes

Keep at it. You never know!

3 Likes

Never broke a bone b4 them. Bee really lucky to avoid the scalpel though. Shit, the hand, I didn’t even go in(don’t recommend) , I just taped my old cast on for 6 weeks.

4 Likes

I’m in the same camp, we’re lucky indeed for that, not everyone’s so fortunate

3 Likes

Yup, feel very lucky as well.

3 Likes

Yes I will!
Now I’m worriyng I won’t be able to, but before, days after the accident it was more: “I don’t want to ride again this thing”, so you see, state of mind is much better, just need my body to follow now ::

2 Likes

It’s good to know. Thanks.
You did great!

Any advice to help the recovery?

And did you keep the screws in?

3 Likes

My wife had to fight the urge to bin my board at the hospital. Soldier queen dragged it all over the damn place. :joy:

2 Likes

(sorry I thought I replied to you already)

Your case sounds worst than mine, but it’s nice to see you determinated. :slight_smile:
State of mind is the main thing.
I can nearly walk normaly on flat (except the pain) but I’m depressed to see how much movement I miss compared to my normal ankle. It looks to me I won’t recover.
I guess we must have a lot of patience and tenacity to get back the closer to normal.
Messages like this one gives us hope: https://forum.esk8.news/u/russoa20

1 Like

This happened in September but I haven’t really ridden since or even touched my own boards since it happened, I’ve built some boards for other people though.

I think I’m finally ready to start riding again. I’ve had a ton of falls since getting into esk8 but only one that was serious.

Going forward I’m going to stick to street boards. Probably will sell a lot of stuff. Esk8 will still be a thing I do for fun but for really getting around town I think I’m going to build an ebike.

7 Likes

Best advice I could give would probably be what other people said previously.
Physical Therapy works wonders. It’s hard work but very worth it.
Don’t be afraid to push yourself, but don’t push it too hard.

As for the screws, the only screws I had removed were the two that attached my fibula to tibia.
These were to let the ligaments heal, with them in, I had no range of motion with my ankle.
The rest of them, I was told I could leave them in. I could have them removed if they became a problem, but I honestly haven’t noticed them.

Don’t be worried that you won’t be able to ride again, you got this bro.

1 Like

this so frikking much.

When got my plate removed in September i had about 20% of movement in my hand (up and down) after going to the therapy…3 times or so i already was at 85%, dude knew what he was doing even if he was a bit weird.

*Remember that your injury can take waaay longer with much more work involved but it does help so much.

6 Likes

Lol yeah some of the exercises seem so silly and pointless but, but focus on doing them nice and slow and controlled and yeah, the shit works

2 Likes

Very impressive!

Well, I’ve been at mine 4 times a weeks for a month, and I didn’t find any real benefit.
On the contrary, last time the guy went too far and hurts me.
I saw my surgeon the other day, he told me to stop physical therapy until pain is gone.
He also told me I could do it by myself if I want, a least I will know when to stop. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the only relevant thread I could find, though this isn’t sharing a major war story but rather looking for advice on smaller stuff

I rolled my ankle at a park practice session last week (fuckin popsicles suck), I definitely went down on it kind of hard but no breaks and or major tears. Was able to stand and walk within a minute or two, took it easy and had an electric to get home on, took a couple of days to rest

I’ve been reading a bit about recovery and that if it’s gonna swell up you generally should allow it to in order to heal properly, and that you should use it as much as is comfortable and your body will guide you a bit. I know that sounds a bit wanky but just go with it. But it doesn’t seem to be making much progress, it’s only a little painful but it’s much more limited than it used to be. I’ve also got a similar wrist injury from landing wrong (fuckin push boards suck) and it’s so irritating that it interferes a bit with daily functional movements. I’ve tried a bunch of massages on them, rotations and stretches, I just don’t know whether I should be trying to do harder mobility exercises or resting them more or a stretch I don’t know about or what. Anyone got suggestions for minor injuries?

2 Likes

Ankles take a long time to heal fully. Ankle stretching exercises are good to get that flexibility back, but you really musn’t overdo them after an injury. (I think it took me a few months until it was back to 100%)

I know I’m repeating myself here, but I do the exercises shown in this video every night as I brush my teeth, and I haven’t rolled an ankle since (I think it’s been 2-3 years, and I’ve definitely had moments where they could have gone out):

3 Likes