Real physical brakes

Says the guy who uses tiller parts.

I use all parts. I don’t mind. I like @Psychotiller parts. Six shooters are dope. Solid decks, whats not to like?

The batteries, and the dude makin em.
Sorry guys, chris doesnt contribute much besides unclever snark. Back on topic, scooter style brakes might be an easy method. It aint disks, but it would be very easy to implement. Basically, mud guards that drop when you hit the lever… kronk.

Handbrakes in cars are great until you blow a wheel cylinder.

2 Likes

That’s so true! In fact, now that I come to think of it, I can’t think of an exception to, “things are great until they’re not”.

Spectacular entrance there, dude.

4 Likes

Fit’s perfectly with his usename… sus

3 Likes

Yeah, the point was that not all emergency brakes are completely separate braking systems. In some vehicles, they still rely on the hydraulic system. That may be why they’re called parking brakes.

1 Like

Anyone tried or looked at something like this?

From what I can tell there is quite a wide axle extension/shoulder/modification to the wheel hub that would be challenging. Plus you’d need something fixed and strong to attach the calipers to on the board-side

The calipers also look quite like the ones linked in this post

2 Likes

I’d need to fabricate a mount for them… and also some way to actuate them… mhm. I might try something like that for my bachelor. :laughing:

2 Likes

Instant honourary Masters if you can actuate it smoothly in tandem with the motor braking.

3 Likes
1 Like

you wouldnt carry a phone with a usb cable dangling out of it

1 Like

you could use a linear actuator to pull the cord driven via pwm off the receiver. of course this doesn’t have the biting force but hey. personally I never got close to the breaking limit on my motors.

1 Like

Could you have “manual” brakes driven by a solenoid? Then you would have to have a cable coming from the remote like the dualtron MAN. Just have a solenoid pull the brake cable.

The way a solenoid works is it’s either fully extended or fully retracted. So either you will have no brakes, or maximum brakes. It’s not possible to modulate braking strength, which is pretty important IMO.

1 Like

Strong servo?

Probably, or maybe some screw type mechanism or linear motor. I’d love to see some testing to see what works and what doesn’t!

High torque steering servo coupled with a leverage arm might work. Something like this. AGFRC 50KG Digital Steering-Servo High-Torque - Programmable Full Metal Gear Coreless Servo for 1/8 1/10 RC Car Boat Crawler, Control Angle 180°(A81CHL) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z3GHCMH/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_XG704ZBKV5M4VEB5P40K

I think a better way to implement this is using hydraulic brakes, because you need less force (and thus less power) to actuate a hydraulic cylinder. A small electric linear actuator might be enough. In an ideal world you could then decide in the VESC Tool app how much % the physical brakes would handle, and how much the motor regen.

I’d also would want to place the physical brakes on the front wheels, as this provides way less slip.

Someone got a link to a small enough master cylinder? :smiley:

3 Likes

Wait, what’s the purpose of these physical brakes?

If they are supposed to be an emergency brake, and you are hooking them up the VESC and actuating them with the remote anyway, then in the case of a failure in your electronics systems, you would lose control of those physical brakes as well.

If they are supposed to just provide more braking force in everyday riding in addition to the regen braking, then wouldn’t it be much easier to just get larger motor that can handle more regen current?

I’m not seeing the point here.

2 Likes