Real physical brakes

We have many talented designers and engineers here. Why are there no “real” physical brakes for our boards there yet? We aren’t running main line fuses in our boards, this is like the dumbest thing you could do electrical speaking, just because we fear losing our brakes. Some MTBs have ones, why are we not adapting this? Because of the stupid bowden wire?

Many questions, no answers. I have this concept of a remotely actuated hydraulic cylinder in my head, how feasable would that be? Has someone already done anything similar to this? Some input would be greatly appreciated.

10 Likes

Motors seem to be pretty damn reliable with regen. 0 extra parts…

I am interested in if you could make a board with freewheel as well as throttle and brakes.

4 Likes

Honnestly it was also on my mind. I was thinking of using standard MTB brakes on the front wheels (obviously wouldn’t be as easy on 4wd), but only as an emergency brake. Like a short handle on the binding or something, just in case the esc goes poof so i can still brake and not eat shit while being fully straped to my board.

6 Likes

Thats a cool idea. I’ve only seen Trampa offer physical brakes MTBs though, are there any other?

1 Like

I believe MBS do offer a brake kit for their boards, the trucks do come with mounting holes for those.

5 Likes

While they are reliable, they have a single failure point, which is the battery. I would like to add a second one to that, which would make the whole system instantly a lot safer.

3 Likes

Foot brake like the ancient masters used to.

8 Likes

that cool, but wireless brakes would be the gold standard in my head. I need to research about hydraulic zylinders wirth integrated motors/pumps.

3 Likes

What am I, some sort of caveman???

3 Likes

Ive had it in my head for a while that i want a board with no remote at all, that just does cruise control at whatever speed you kick to, and has a foot button to turn off cruise control.

There is a board like that already, f.e. mellow boards and their endless mode I believe. There was another one too which didn’t even had a remote anymore, but I cant remeber the name. It had only like 2 miles of range too.

2 Likes

Well i my mind keeping emergency brakes fully mecanical is the safest route. A bit like the handbrake in cars.

Bindings tend to make it a bit awkward :crazy_face:

1 Like

I know of them, they still have a remote though. Lowguido on the old forum made one that works like id want once.
Also; wireless physical brakes would still require a power source. A nice little mechanical kick lever could work… for comfortable use, actually id say a stomp button on the kicktail would be nice.

True, hydraulic brakes would have the battery as a failure point too, if they would be actuated electrically.

Thats a cool suggestion, like the back brake some scooters have, where you press the rear fender onto the back wheel. Just that it would be a lever in our case.

2 Likes

See edit, a button you push on the side of the kicktail would be pretty optimal. I lean back when im decelerrating anyways, so it makes sense to me.

Yeah i just saw it. I’m liking the concept already, no stupid wires, no energy source needed, sounds pretty ideal. I would change the button to a small pedal though, so you can fine adjust the amount of brake power. Now we just need to make it lmao

Brakeboard trucks

8 Likes

51kwc0t9-0L.SY600
Ive seen one of these, before. Could be exactly what youre looking for, actually.

7 Likes