Real physical brakes

I could see an application in race boards, where you want to reduce braking distance to reduce lap times. You’re then able to utilize the front wheels without the extra weight and complexity of having to stuff a second drivetrain to the front.

1 Like

One of the main benefits of physical brakes would be the adherence to local law, as many countries require physical brakes on PEVs for insurance and registration.

Another benefit would be that you can brake with a full pack, without the risk of damaging your cells by overcharging.

And lastly, braking force is also determined by the maximum charge rate the battery pack can safely handle. Physical brakes would make this restriction a non-issue.

Of course it would the be still impacted by a main power outage, but I don’t see another way to avoid a physical connection to the rider. A foot actuated brake would require shifting your stance considerably, which is not ideal in a emergency situation. Also, if just a sub-component of the braking system breaks, you still have the normal motor regen, which is very well suited for braking aswell, as we all know.

3 Likes

Using a combination of the physical and the regen could be good in that application

Moderate to weak regen brakes but strong physical

3 Likes

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1130221580/disc-brakes-for-longboard-skateboards

This actually looks quite tidy.

2 Likes

Those were already posted in this thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like

These Brakeboard trucks look like your best material available up to now… Except for the fact that there is’nt a system developed for the drive-train/ back truck for Esk8 yet… Would work for front-truck use just great i think

1 Like

“ABS brake system”

1 Like

Hol up.
Real brakes means doing burnouts. Ight fukkit I’m in.

6 Likes

These look like they have been released now.

More info and available on their website.

It looks pretty cool for someone looking at a non-powered board.

I know a few Aussies in particular that like to ride without proper foot protection :joy:

Real men footbrake without shoes

3 Likes

Real men don’t exfoliate their feet when braking :rofl:

1 Like

Could it be possible to have a disc brake on the wheel pulley, sprocket or gear? Just a thought. Not sure how it would be operated…

But I don’t want my feet to look like yours

1 Like

10 points for anyone can find gore photos of the time my heel exploded

2 Likes

I’ll check my spank bank.

Sometimes you gotta get the dead skin off the bottom, and asphalt is very efficient at that.

Haha, found it