Raptor 2.1 BMS/Battery Balance

Jeeez, how long did that take?

This pretty much sums up why some of the bigger name builders left the old forum. Disassociation from a bad brand

1 Like

He started 2 years ago. :joy:

3 Likes

who started where?

giphy (1)

nevermind now I understand

2 Likes

calm your hots Damon Wood… :cupid:

1 Like

About a week :joy:

1 Like

I thought this was a reply about the hair the way it was nested :grin:

2 Likes

Okay guys don’t laugh this is my first try on any E skateboard battery cell repair. I had a bunch of 18650
From my mechanical Mods back from The vaping days. Also a couple 26650 which I use to parallel charge AKA JumpStart a couple Cells. Disassemble the battery pack, and found that 8 cells are completely rundown to 0.1 volt. And the following groups are at 0.3 volts. I removed eight cells and chucked them in the garbage. Then I further removed four and put them on my efest intelli charger. I saw via cell phone connected 2 battery charger via Bluetooth that the cells took the charge.

So I had to replace eight cells. Due to my current financial situation I don’t have the money to do it all professionally. But I had 6 LG HE2 and to efest cells.
I am aware that they have different charging cycles and probably have been abused doing my vaping years. But they got the same specification as those pink Samsungs. So I have a KWeld and nickel strips laying around so I created Frankenstein’s monster battery but hopefully don’t blow up.

This is definitely not the tidiest German way but I would consider it jerry-rigged. The battery is still not charging all the way 200 at least it’s not up keeping it. So I assume there are a couple more bad cells.

Little video

1 Like

Dude, if the cells have dropped below 2.5v they should not be reused regardless of whether they take charge or not…

I know I’m not planning on driving that thing really it was just for me to learn more about the materia. The LG and the efest saltz never run under 3.7 but been abused in mechanical Mods. And yes I agree the four sails should come out to but when I get a new job I’m planning on just building my own

1 Like

Cool. Just don’t set your house on fire. :+1:

But now I am intrigued why they don’t use 26650 in e boards or e bikes.

1 Like

Some do. I believe boosted use A123 cells.

Well Boosted is going out of Business…hm

Nobody makes a good one. I remember reading a technical thing about cathode wrap density, anode diameter vs cell diameter vs heat dissipation. It was a thing where the thicker the cell, the shorter it’s lifespan due to a few factors, that’s why most mfg ran with 18650, and now 21700 due to better manufacturing process. 26650 is too thick I think for optimized power vs capacity for current tech

So the board is equipped with Samsung INR18650-30Q

I was reading though a bunch of sites now. Is the 30Q still the Holly Gral for the 10S4P config. People say the VTC6 has a better balance? Kinda lost here. I know that the LG HE2 (brown) perform good but they got a abrupt drop in the end where the Samsung is more continuous

I think for 18650s, 30Q still on top for best performance/capacity. The VTC6 claims better life cycle on testing buuut I haven’t really noticed much difference, can’t go wrong with 30Q really. HE2 has more punch but drops off fast

1 Like

Well, great time here with my R 2.1. After BMS problem and battery not charging over 67%, my diagnosis was the BMS and after probably the battery. At this point, I bought a 10S 37V 60A charge-discharge BMS. After wellding some cables, I realise there is no way it will fit inside the R2.1 enclosure (noob I know). So for now, i’m waiting for a second BMS in charge only like it was before. Half the thickness, i’m certain the next one will fit.

The strange cable at the right (2nd picture) is an adaper I made with the cable of the BMS and a JST 11pin 2.5mm to fit with the Battery cable.