Raptor 2.1 BMS/Battery Balance

Ok. After my Raptor 2.1 died mid rite (at approx 22 mph) and I gracefully came to a stop, I knew there was something wrong.

I know it’s a Enertion Product and people hate the company but it’s my only board atm. After inspection I found burn marks on the BMS bottom side. The board doesn’t take any charge. (Charger LED stayed green ).
I got my hands on a new BMS, also enertion my old BMS was PCB No 004, the new one is 006. Post pictures below of the 2 different BMS for reference. The battery was last at 77% as per display readings. That was 1 ½ month ago. Now the volt meter reads 29V and the app sees 10%. I installed the new BMS and the charger led turned red. So it was charging for 20 min… Up to 15% than the led turned to green…

I am femiler with electric motors due to my job. Work on ABB and danfoss VFD’s and generators but this was my first board ever.

My question now is. Does the Space Cell Battery Pack I guess it’s a S10 x2P is still alive? I try to read up on the BMS functions and found that it’s charges groupings of 18650 cells evenly. I don’t know if the bad BMS had a consequential impact on the battery pack… I live in South Florida so it’s always a bit warmer here and this board doesn’t have any venting. Just try to get to the bottom of this. I am aware that Enertion is Belly Up so I can’t make use of my extended Warranty I guess. !

Below the BMS difference first the BMS which broke than the newer model.

Any help is appreciated.

1 Like

Do you have a volt meter of any sort? A bad BMS can knock cells out of balance, but without jumping to conclusions, we need to check the spacecell pack by itself. Individual group voltages and total system voltage

3 Likes

Sounds like teh cells might not be taking a charge properly, but it should not be broken because 29v is not too low. its low, but not too low.

But yeah. diagnose the pack first

2 Likes

OMG thank you. Not even my own mother would answer that quick. Got a multimeter on hand. Will post more pix tomorrow. Wife is sick and still up

:joy: :joy: :joy: Probe every adjacent wire pair on the balancing plug, 11 wires gives 10 pairs, each pair goes to 1 P group. all should read similar voltages.

1 Like

Write them all down
One dead pcell makes sense here.

My advice: Cut the PCB nicely on the red line and get rid of the crappy enertion BMS. You can recycle the fuse this way, so shorts will blow it still and then buy a reliable small 10s BMS and wire it charge only.
Held up My Raptors since the beginning. Also the first mod I did on my brand new 2.1. Nothing blown since… holds wood

4 Likes

1 Like

I hope the Bullet connection measures the hole battery. Ok I broke out my pinout set and attached the flat cable to all 11 pins. How do I messure the cells individual? Positive to pin and negative to ground plug from bullet connector?

Ok here the results of above mentioned method.

1 Like

Oh no, that’s not good. The previous BMS killed groups 1-4, the new BMS shut off charge when group 10 exceeded 4.25. That pack unfortunately is likely unrecoverable. Potentially half those cells can be reused and rebuilt into a new one but I doubt the 16 cells from 1-4 is usable anymore. Where abouts are you located?

2 Likes

Live in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Would that help if I unpin all good cells and just leave the bat once connected to boost charge the concerned cells? For instance leave only pin 1 2 3 4 connected and half the rest unpinned… I don’t know

@longhairedboy you live relatively close by can I pay in beer for a battery pack repair… I bring you German beer…

1 Like

it’s a recognizable problem. I have a raptor laying with the same issue. The bms killed 4 groups and overcharged the others to 4,3v/each.

For me the pack is garbage at that moment. The packs was laying for more then 6months on that voltage so the damage on the cells is hard.

Swapping the original raptor BMS out is the first thing I do. That is garbage level 5000

4 Likes

It won’t help. The fact that it was charging for 15 minutes with 0V still, group 4 may be recoverable, 1-3 already sustained unrecoverable damage, even if you forced a charge, the BMS is going to struggle keeping that pack in balance for long.

1 Like

Never try charging cells that went under the 2,5v again without extra safety. When you want to recover cells you have to charge them on a very low current. Let them lay for some weeks and check out if they hold capacity.

But at the end if the cells hold capacity, they are not going to deliver the amps we want. It is perfect for a house powerbank but not for our high current applications.

2 Likes

sorry ma dude, best thing is to just get a new battery.
Metro has simple affordable ones that should let you get back on your feet. Though it maybe worth getting a nice pack built .

How old is the battery? I have 25 30Q cells that also came from half a pack of 10s5p where the BMS killed half the pack. They had about 100 cycles on them or so.

Or just get another 30Q pack built for a fresh one.

Board is 1 year old now. Drove the board until 15% sooo I would assume it’s more then 30 charges less than 100 for sure.

Yeah might be tough pairing up those cells again. Ya better off grabbing 40 new cells and slapping them on a D140 BMS. Some of the plastic frame insulation in the original is reusable too.

1 Like