Radium 6485 & 6455 Motors

I had no issues with the 205Kv on stormcore, they were awesome (except for the sensors but that’s been fixed on V2)

3 Likes

And we’re up to V3 now with further improvements :grin:

3 Likes

Are yours basically the same as these?

Quite a few improvements over those specific ones

One of my favorite is that the back of the can no longer wants to slice your fingers off

5 Likes

Lol, they are wicked sharp

3 Likes

You can read about some of the improvements we’ve made here:

2 Likes

Thank you for the direction. Kind of exactly what I was asking.

1 Like

Oh, these aren’t diy’able changes at all. Appreciate the work. I can’t reasonably buy another motor until I finish a few things.

2 Likes

Nope haha. Cheers.
There are further performance upgrades planned, pending tests

2 Likes

Happy to provide starting point benchmarks if needed. :+1:

1 Like

I’d appreciate it if you get any more feedback from Lacroix regarding the Stormcore. I’m afraid I may still have this issue after pre-ordering these motors for my LSSS (previously assuming it was a motor issue)

1 Like

I’ll chase it up.

2 Likes

The pre-order batch of motors is shipping to us from the factory in the next few days!

I had them run a dyno test on one of the 245kv from this batch at 48V so there is a benchmark for the performance upgrades we have planned in future.

Even I was surprised with nearly 8.4kw in and still 73% of that converted to power at the shaft!

14 Likes

Assuming you keep the motor at a reasonable temperature, could you actually feed it the 8400w?

Not saying it’d be easy keeping things cool. Assuming the lost power all goes to heat, that’s 2000w! Pretty much an electric kettle.

3 Likes

Well it was fed that much power on the dyno. You obviously wouldn’t want to run that continuously haha the cooling system cant dissipate 2kw of heat of course. But I’m pretty happy with the fact that you can dump bulk power into these little guys and instead of saturating it puts out the power at the shaft. It means you can run really high phase amps to get the punch and set the battery amps to as high as you can go without overheating with your setup, riding style and weather

15 Likes

So after many long email exchanges with Charles from Lacroix the gist is basically that they haven’t investigated what might be causing Stormcore to not work properly with higher relative kv setups, and that there are so many variables affecting FOC performance that its hard for them to say why its not working. He recommended to use “the newest detection tools offered in fw5.3” for better results, but I’m not sure what exactly he meant by that. Maybe there are some new motor detection methods in latest official firmware?

He also basically said that they spent a lot of time fine tuning settings to get the stormcore + Lacroix 6389 motors working really well together and anything other than that they can’t really help with because of the amount of time required to investigate.

8 Likes

Motor detection in each version works slightly different based on the patch notes.
Ie if you run detection in 5.2 vs 5.3 the values will be pretty different.

Maybe someone smarter than me can explain the differences.
@Deodand says 5.3 has been the bees knees in another thread for the stormcore, vs what most people on the forum have seen on their applications.

2 Likes

Thanks! I was working with Charles troubleshooting the intermittent braking hesitations at mid-higher speeds on my LSSS with the stock 130kv 6389 motors on-off for 2 weeks.

I was experiencing on 5.2 so tried upgrading to 5.3. Same thing but with Charles guidance tried reverting back to 5.2 and lowering max current rate from 75A to 60A.

At that point I felt it might be a motor issue so taking a chance ordering the Radium 6485 138kv motors to rule out a motor issue.

Duncan mentioning experiencing something similar on his setup using the Stormcore 100D kinda made me worried.

I don’t mean to hijack but I’m still looking forward to receiving the Radiums though!

Appreciate the feedback

1 Like

Finally some data :slight_smile:

I’d have to admit I was expecting worse, 80%+ over a pretty broad RPM range. Looks promising :+1:
Too bad I missed out on the pre-order!

3 Likes

I see you are out of 205kv motors, would 245kv motors on a stormcore 60D+ be a reasonable pairing?