Push assist/Endless mode, let's talk about it!

Design thinking ahead going remoteless, while avoiding weight sensing :

• Couldn’t we just push as hard till we reach the desired speed with the cruise control function? Maybe stronger legs some can push harder than 25mph (wishful thinking)?
  • Would it make sense to put the cruise control button / pad for the front foot instead of the rear because everytime the rear foot comes off to push, it would slow down the board dramatically?
  • With the button in front, it makes sense to lean back and brace for the braking, when the front foot’s weight is released from the front.

This probably needs more imagination with my feet alone and what I’d to reposition my footing (rather than weight).

2 Likes

I think that is actually a good improvement suggestion, though the way @LowGuido implemented it, you have to remove your feet from the button to push (because while pressed, it also applies brakes while going downhill to control speed). However, if you push correctly, you will also move your front foot ~60 degrees, so your suggestion would actually work nicely to improve his neat solution.

As for me, cruise control alone won’t work as I have a ton of stop signs, tight turns and intersections where I live. So, I need strong brakes and acceleration.

2 Likes

This is essentially what you mean right? But instead of auto-detection just a button, the firefly nano could easily be made into a smaller version, with an ESP and the SX1276 chip.

Edit; that would mean you can connect a normal or push only remote to the same receiver. I’ve been wanting to do this but don’t really have the time.

2 Likes

Almost exactly!

You’re design works for existing boards to make them stealthy which is more what many people in esk8-unfriendly countries would like.

I was considering a deadmans switch instead of menu configuration for the cruise control. It is active as long as you hold the switch/button, no auto timeout. I was trying to minimalize the remote system so I was considering no braking functionality from the remote. If top speed is only push speed, theoretically you should be able to foot brake in all scenarios. Also with no need for braking, you can have a one way clutch motor with almost no added rolling resistance. Like how a bike allows you to coast without engaging the drive.

The estop implementation scares me a bit. Not that it will throw you off the board or anything, just thinking about cruising downhill and losing momentum. It makes complete sense in your system where it would be updating the cruise control past max pushing speed.

In my idea, if I was bombing a hill and picking up too much speed, I would just let go of the switch/button and cruise control would be off, board goes back to manual.

I would buy this in a heartbeat for a travel friendly board. I have lots of spare parts laying around I could play with, it’s the actual programming logic I can’t do :expressionless:

1 Like

I’ve done some moving stance testing… front foot button/pad is not a good idea… real world vs theory.

1 Like

Much agreed. Even a rear foot pedal wouldn’t help when going downhill unless a maximum speed and intelligent gentle braking system was properly implemented as jamie mentioned.

1 Like

Just have a tiny controller in your hand…?

3 Likes

I think it’d work fairly well to have a button/pad to detect foot presence on the rear (or whatever foot you kick with) connected to a module that communicates with and controls the VESCs in duty cycle mode via uart. Kick the board, no resistance from vescs as foot is off the board while kicking and control is disabled. once up to speed, step on, module sends duty cycle matching current speed and module is programmed to roll at that duty cycle while rear foot is detected on the board, and after 10-20 seconds the duty cycle slowly ramps down to stop. any time you take your foot off the button/pad to push up to speed the vescs disengage duty cycle control.

2 Likes

Read 3 posts up you dingus

@Skatardude10 what are your thoughts about the natural rolling resistance of the motors and drive train? Seems counter intuitive to me to have braking coming from the motors on a push board.

2 Likes

Another idea. A gas pedal. A button you step on, that accelerates the board gently, with decay in acceleration as you approach a programmed top speed.

If you target low-ish speeds I think it could work. Maybe.

2 Likes

I think it would work great with direct drives and low rolling resistance. I don’t really see a need for motors braking… only maintaining speed and free rolling. I’d be willing to foot brake, carve, or slide like I would any other analog.

2 Likes

What about this:

• One button to engage cruise control
  • One button to activate brakes

This is like super-duper simple, only 2 buttons and the radio boards + microcontroller. Also a power switch of course, could be cut power on/off or sleep on/off. Cutting power gives you more battery life while not using it.

What about this:

• While skating faster than 3 km/h (or something), when you press and hold the cruise button, the speed is held for that time as long as you press.
  • Brakes override cruise button;
  • When you ride faster than 3 km/h and press and hold the brake, brakes slowly engage to max.
  • While board is standing still, press brake button once and engage parking brake. Disengage by pressing or pushing it a bit (gives a current spike).

Why those brakes? Well what if you are going downhill and it’s going to fast. Hit the brake button for a little bit and then engage cruise to continue on a better speed.

However I also read about that zero resistance idea, that’s also possible. I just think you should be able to use your brakes when you have 'em.

If we put an ESP in that remote, you could enter settings via Wi-Fi. (don’t feel like making a BT app)

Something about cruise control on VESC btw, it keeps speed, so when you would normally accelerate going downhill, the board will brake and keep your cruise speed.

2 Likes

I wonder how the jaykay motors have them at 100% free rolling (zero resistance).

They don’t

AFAIK Jaykay is basically vaporware

4 Likes

I’d be happy with that setup. I don’t have any feel for the rolling resistance of DDs but to me, efficiency is key here. We’re not trying to accelerate these boards so majority of the static load is relieved by pushing to start and continuing momentum.

Personally I’m shit at foot braking from high speed so this idea was going to force me to be better at it quick haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@spade I agree with caden, they’re straight vaporware. If anything, they’re using a really low motor winding resistance that @hummieee may be able to comment more on.

“technical bullshit details”

Wireless charging in the truck baseplates that can charge your phone?

4 cells per truck? So this board has 8 battery cells tucked into the truck baseplate. Hmm

5 Likes

It’s dangerous at speed, and at any speed, expensive! Before I got electrified I was going through shoes like mad from my commute. Was considering glueing tire tread to the soles…

6 Likes

I forget but remember it’s design was going to be low torque potential.
A low resistance winding is ideal but it also needs develop enough mag field in the gap for torque I forget what kind of motor design this uses I think they compromised torque for the roll of a regular wheel.

1 Like

That “made in Germany” JayKay Ring Remote is pretty dope imho. Very stealthy also. But I think it only works with the JayKay trucks.

2 Likes

Aren’t most direct drives a bit wide for pushing? Seems like I’d constantly hit my foot on the back wheel

4 Likes

It doesn’t work period.

What battery would you fit in it?

Mini remotes have the smallest battery I know of in a remote, and it would easily exceed the size restraints once you factor in the screen and actual mechanical bits of the thumb wheel.

Jaykay is vaporware. I’m so much more convinced of it the more I look into it.

I’m not directing this part at you in particular, Benjo, but how are people so easily convinced by a shit tier render of a product with a obviously ‘compromised’ form factor, with specs that are supposed to be comparable to meepos or other shit tier china boards, when in reality are completely blown out of proportion?

I really can’t understand how people believe this.

1 Like